Thread: 'repo-non-oss': Failed to cache repo (139).

Default 'repo-non-oss': Failed to cache repo (139).

YaST-->Software-->Online Update

Getting error:
    There was an error in the repository initialization.
    'repo-non-oss': Failed to cache repo (139).
    History:
    - repo2solv.sh "/var/cache/zypp/raw/repo-non-oss" > "/var/cache/zypp/solv/repo-non-oss/solv"

Output of zypper lr:
    # | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh
    --+-----------------------+-----------------------+---------+--------
    1 | openSUSE-11.0-Updates | openSUSE-11.0-Updates | Yes | Yes
    2 | openSUSE-DVD 11.0 | openSUSE-DVD 11.0 | Yes | No
    3 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.0-Debug | No | No
    4 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.0-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes
    5 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.0-Oss | Yes | Yes

If I disable the repo-non-oss repository the update works fine.

The URL I have for the repo-non-oss repository is:
    Index of /distribution/11.0/repo/non-oss

This has been going on for over a week.

Do I need to use a different URL for the non-oss repository? I live in New York, United States.

Default Re: 'repo-non-oss': Failed to cache repo (139).

Sounds like the mirror you're being directed to is broken. Add a mirror manually.

Mirror - openSUSE

Okay, I tried almost EVERY mirror in that list, and they always give me the same error -

Unable to create repository from mirror <whatever url i try here>

repo-non-oss: failed to cache repo (139)

History: -repo2solv.sh "/var/cache/zypp/raw/repo-non-oss" > "/var/cache/zypp/raw/repo-non-oss/solv"

Try again?

So I don't think the mirror is the problem. I can load almost all these mirrors manually with my browser - the pages all come up the same.

Try deleting the cache file that it points to:
    su -c "rm -fr /var/cache/zypp/raw/repo-non-oss"

Then refresh the repositories and see what happens.

I deleted the cache file as you instructed - no problems doing this.

I then went to YaST-->Software Repositories and used the "refresh" button. No problems doing this. (but there never was any either)

Then I went to YaST-->Online Update and I got the same exact problem again as above except now it says it's failed to cache repo on "/var/cache/zypp/solv/repo-oss/solv"

So... I tried your command line on repo-oss and removed that dir and ran the YaST--> Online Update again. I got the same error on repo-oss this time instead of non-repo-oss.

I then deleted both repo-oss and non-repo-oss dirs, refreshed software repositories, then went to Online Update again. It worked for a while and then bombed out again - same error - still on solv/repo-oss/solv instead of non-repo-oss.

Please note that this is a change from the original state. The original error was on non-repo-oss. now it's sticking on repo-oss.

Thanks very much for your help so far, but I still can't complete an update

Curious.

Try removing both repositories, closing the software repos utility, re-open it and re-add the repositories.

If this does not work, we'll see into cleaning the whole zypp cache and re-build it from scratch. If that doesn't work, we'll bring in the voodoo priestess

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    Try removing both repositories, closing the software repos utility, re-open it and re-add the repositories.
    I'm not new to Linux, but i haven't used it in about 9 years. So this whole interface is new to me.

What I think you wanted me to do (and what I just did) was close all windows. Remove both repository directories using your commands above. (for non-oss and oss), opened repos utility, refresh, close repos utility, and then try the update again.

Everything worked until the update, when I got the same problem with repo-oss.

I just installed this from the download dvd about 2 weeks ago and I haven't done much in the OS yet. So if you give instructions be sure to be verbose.

I've resolved this issue with the repo-update by deleting the entire /var/cache/zypp directory. This made sure every file in the cache was rebuilt and resolved all problems.

Open a Terminal and type:

su
    rm -rf /var/cache/zypp

Or, with sudo enabled:

sudo rm -rf /var/cache/zypp

Then go to 'Software Repositories' in Yast and refresh all repositories.

Quote Originally Posted by mistermartin75 View Post
    I've resolved this issue with the repo-update by deleting the entire /var/cache/zypp directory. This made sure every file in the cache was rebuilt and resolved all problems.

su
    rm -rf /var/cache/zypp

Or, with sudo enabled:

Thanks!

I am having this exact problem with SUSE 11.2. Because satsolver was mentioned in my error message, I was fairly well convinced that satsolver was where the problem lay.

Seems likely not, and that your solution will work for me too... Since I don't have the internet at home, will have to wait till I get back there to try it, but I'm betting...

Default Re: Failed to cache repo (139).

Quote Originally Posted by mistermartin75 View Post

su
    rm -rf /var/cache/zypp

Or, with sudo enabled:

It appears that if any of the files in cache/zypp/*/* become damaged the entire update process halts with a script message about broken pipe in script during update and another regarding the checksum so no files in cache can be updated.

This appears identically in 11.1 as well so I should imagine this is a 11.X issue.