Can't get ESSID in KNetworkManager

I just upgraded to opensuse 11.

I have a card that works fine on wlan0. I can scan the ESSID’s connect to them, and even request an IP address from DHCP in terminal. Everything seems to work, but KNetworkManager does not show my card and I can’t get internet access in the browser.

I installed the card with ndiswrapper -i and then modprobe.

This always worked in OpenSuse < 11, but now there is a problem.

Very strange.

Thank you if anyone knows about this.

did you put ndiswrapper as the module in YaST - network devices - network settings ? & did you set it up via YaST ?

Andy

Yes…

I installed ndiswrapper through Yast -> Software Management

Actually, I got the internet to work using a dhclient wlan0 request.

However, the results of

iwlist wlan0 scan

Still don’t show up in KNetworkManager

I read a post on another website that the KDE4 plugin for KNetworkManager has many bugs.

I think the problem is upgrading to KDE4 when it is still not very mature.

Anyway, it looks like I have to use the terminal to configure wireless hardware for now.

dpicella wrote:
> Yes…
>
> I installed ndiswrapper through Yast → Software Management
>
> Actually, I got the internet to work using a dhclient wlan0 request.
>
> However, the results of
>
> # iwlist wlan0 scan
>
> Still don’t show up in KNetworkManager
>
> I read a post on another website that the KDE4 plugin for
> KNetworkManager has many bugs.
>
> I think the problem is upgrading to KDE4 when it is still not very
> mature.
>
> Anyway, it looks like I have to use the terminal to configure wireless
> hardware for now.

Did you try “Edit Connections” in KNM? If you do and select “New Connection” and
“Wireless”, do you see the APs that are nearby? Unlike the KNM in 10.3 that
showed all nearby APs, the new one only shows thoee APs for which connections exist.

Larry

Why would they put out a release like that. You obviously need to be able to see the results of scanning your device ! ?

That’s been a bit of a point of contention, but the devs feel it is a better method.

At the end of the day, it shouldn’t be that big an issue. If you have networks you regularly connect to, they will connect automatically. The only time you should need to see a list of networks is when you need to connect to one, in which case the connection dialog will display all of them (or provide an option to connect to hidden one).

I’ll reserve judgment on whether that was the better call, I have opinions on both sides, but it is what it is, and it works well enough.

Just my 2c…

Cheers,
KV

FYI… I did get it to work fine. I had to check the box to allow OpenSUSE to manage connection with KNetworkManager rather than the other default method whatever that is.

Don’t mean to sound like a noob, but OS 11 made me feel like one!

Hi.
I am a noobie and am having this exact problem (iwlist shows access points, wireless card ok and no essids on KNetworkManager). Where is this box you checked? I can’t find it. I’m on KDE 4.0.4 and openSuse 11.0.
Thanks much.

I can’t help you with KDE4. I intalled OpenSUSE with KDE4 and only used it for a few days before reinstalling with KDE3. KDE4 just had way to much bloatware and I ultimately could not get my computer functional in a way that I liked with it.