k9copy fails to create avi file due to mencoder error?

I installed k9copy and attempted to convert a dvd of mine to 2 pass xvid since I’m trying to load up some shows to a laptop for a trip. The process seemed to work fine but at the end the .avi was not where it was supposed to be. Searching /var/log/messages I see “Jul 3 06:15:20 amd64 kernel: mencoder[9799] trap invalid opcode ip:96f499 sp:7fff65250b80 error:0 in mencoder[400000+74b000]” for each time I tried to encode something in k9copy. I did a google and found no information on this and I’m running mplayer 1.0rc2 which is the latest version on Packman.

Anyone have any ideas? I’m using the default command line in k9copy and I tried both “xvid” and “Divx 4/5” with identical results.

not sure about the mencoder errors as they don’t provide much info, just error codes. But you can try some of my scripts if you like working in CLI. They are CLI front-ends to MEncoder. My xvidenc script is available from the Packman repository, h264enc and divxenc from SourceForge, check my signature for links

I actually did try xvidenc…went through all the questions it asks and it exited saying something about mencoder returning a non zero value. I finally got things working with dvdrip which uses transcode.

i use k9copy to convert to folders, then avidemux to get to .avi format myself, found that way really good.

then something is wrong with your mencoder if both k9copy and xvidenc error out… glad you got it working with dvdrip :slight_smile: