Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deleting large files

Default deleting large files

I've noticed in Opensuse 11 since installing that when deleting large files from my USB drive (such as movies 700+ MB) that it takes quite a long time to delete the file.
    Never took this long in 10.3

Using KDE 4 if that makes any difference.

Blog Entries

Default Re: deleting large files

I suspect it's making a backup in a Trash directory. I don't know if/how you can turn this off; I usually use the CLI. Try an experiment: delete from the CLI. If that's fast, then the backup is the reason.

Blog Entries

When I delete from my usb drive with a GUI like Konqueror, I get it transferred physically to my IDE drive which holds the so-called deleted file in trash folder. The usb-storage is for large files like partition images so you can imagine what a drag deleting one of those would be.

I almost always use ken_yap's recommended method for large files. Check out "man rm".

Swerdna
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Thanks
    using the rm command in konsole is very speedy.

Interested to find out if there is a setting to change so that it is speedy using the kde gui though.

Like I said - using kde3 10.3 was speedy - using kde4 11.0 slow.
    Wonder where the setting to stop the backup is.

Hold shift then delete in GUI should do it, but carefully, no recovery if you include the wrong files.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Either go with FeatherMonkey or/and you can add a "delete" button to your browser/file manager Konqueror menu bar, that also deletes without moving a backup copy to /.trash first.

Even better you can add to the Konqueror menu (a program can be found at kde-look.org in Konqueror extensions I believe): a "remove as root" entry.

Yep found it, it is called: 72762-sram-1.4.0.tar.bz2
    OpenSuSE Leap 42.3 / KDE 5.8 | Intel i7 3770 | 16GBRam | 120 + 80GB SSD's | Benq 27" | DVD | PhilipsToUcam 740 | HPpsc2355p | Logitech KB & mouse | 320 +160 + 80 + 80 GB USB HDD's | Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7360 | (V)DSL 12 MB/s | SuSE since 2001

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cinq-Marquis View Post
    you can add a "delete" button to your browser/file manager Konqueror menu bar, that also deletes without moving a backup copy to /.trash first.
    I can't enable that -- interesting though -- where is it / how do I get the button?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinq-Marquis View Post
    Even better you can add to the Konqueror menu (a program can be found at kde-look.org in Konqueror extensions I believe): a "remove as root" entry.
    But wouldn't that store a backup copy in root's trash basket?

Swerdna
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

found the setting for the "delete" function in dolphin - simple checkbox in dolphin's settings gives that option on right click.

I'll give it a try later on and report back

the rm command is a fast way to delete from the command line.

But as someone mentioned that won't send it to the trash so you want to be careful and certain you know what you are doing with that command.

the rm command is a fast way to delete from the command line.
    Sometimes you can't find your pencil because it's behind your ear ............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast