FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.22.18-0.2-de

On my clevo m570ru laptop, i use opensuse 10.3 .
I have a fully updated system, with latest kernel 2.6.22.18-0.2-default.
Since the last nvidia driver update 173.14.09_2.6.22.18_0.2-0.1, from the official nvidia repository, i had a black screen and had to fall back to the slower free nv driver by editing the xorg.conf .
When i try the command :

modprobe nvidia

it answers :

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.22.18-0.2-default/updates/nvidia.ko): No such device

This is what i read in the /var/log/messages :

Jul  3 11:00:48 localhost kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine was not called for 1 device(s).
Jul  3 11:00:48 localhost kernel: NVRM: This can occur when a driver such as rivafb, nvidiafb or
Jul  3 11:00:48 localhost kernel: NVRM: rivatv was loaded and obtained ownership of the NVIDIA
Jul  3 11:00:48 localhost kernel: NVRM: device(s).
Jul  3 11:00:48 localhost kernel: NVRM: Try unloading the rivafb, nvidiafb or rivatv kernel module
Jul  3 11:00:48 localhost kernel: NVRM: (and/or reconfigure your kernel without rivafb/nvidiafb
Jul  3 11:00:48 localhost kernel: NVRM: support), then try loading the NVIDIA kernel module again.
Jul  3 11:00:48 localhost kernel: NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter probed!

But none of these modules are loaded.

Can anybody help me, please ?

Do you tried to re-install de driver from scratch (uninstall using yast and intall it again)?

Cheers

Yes, i tried to uninstall/reinstall the nvidia driver, but to no avail …
Any other suggestion ?

I know that is not the most recomended, but I would try the binary driver from nvidia.

But I think is not the best solutions (because you would need to re-install on each kernel update).

Cheers

Leon

Leon, you got it wrong :
My point is to use the nvidia binary (proprietary) driver .
It used to work without problem until this last update.
The free nv driver is good but slower and doesn’t support very fastly transparency. Therefore, i’d prefer to use the nvidia proprietary driver, as it used to work correctly.
Some more details :
i use opensuse 10.3 x86_64 on intel centrino santarosa with nvidia gpu GeForce 8700M GT .
Any other hint ?

Yes, but I meant download it from nvidia, and not install using the yast…

Cheers

lewaldman > Do you mean that i should install via rpm ?

Anyway, do you think that the nvidia module will be loaded then ?
How should i do it ?
Where should i download this nvidia driver ?

OK, now that’s solved.
I simply downloaded and ran the NVIDIA…run from nvidia, as you suggested.
The reason i haven’t done it before is because every previous update of the nvidia driver went smoothly just by downloading from the nvidia repository. But this time, for an unknown reason it did not update correctly.

I’m just hoping nvidia will soon open its code and specs so that open-source people can do it better : Drivers would be included in kernel or in xorg and that would just work.

Sorry for not answer before.

Yes, this is what i suggest!

The only problem is in case you do kernel update, you will need to re-install the driver.

I always use this driver direct from nvidia because they tend to have more features.

Any way, good to know that is ok now!!! :slight_smile:

Cheers