Display not working -- need some safe way to remove openSUSE

I’m having a big problem here with openSUSE. Before, I had installed it on a laptop dual-booting it with XP. The laptop’s monitor is a little messed up, so I’ve been using an external screen. The problem was that the resolution didn’t appear correct and it also seemed to extend beyond the screen. I’ve tried changing the settings and re-installing a few times, but now, it seems that no matter what I try (keeping in mind that I’m still pretty new to Linux) I’m stuck with a black screen and a distorted white box for a mouse. Now I need help finding a way to get the screen working correctly so I can set the grub boot menu to have Windows the default rather than Linux, or a way to remove openSUSE altogether without using any x window system in Linux. Anyone able to help me?

macosxp wrote:

> The problem was that
> the resolution didn’t appear correct and it also seemed to extend
> beyond the screen. I’ve tried changing the settings and re-installing a
> few times, but now, it seems that no matter what I try (keeping in mind
> that I’m still pretty new to Linux) I’m stuck with a black screen and a
> distorted white box for a mouse.

You could have mentioned model, make and graphic chipset.

> Now I need help finding a way to get
> the screen working correctly so I can set the grub boot menu to have
> Windows the default rather than Linux,

Boot to runlevel 3 by adding 3 as boot option in grub, or hit CTRL-ALT-F2
when it’s booted. Log in as root and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to have the
windows entry as default. Also yast has an ncurses interface so you can do
it without X.

> or a way to remove openSUSE
> altogether without using any x window system in Linux.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_Uninstall_Linux

The laptop’s an HP Pavilion zv6000 series, amd 64 with ati radeon graphics.

The opensuse tutorial seems to mention doing some things from within openSUSE. That doesn’t seem to be an option right now, unless I can get the display working.

How do I edit the grub menu without entering X window system? Can you provide exact steps and codes?

Is it like this: Boot into openSUSE, and when you see the black background and square for a mouse, press Control_Alt_F2 to find yourself in a text environment, and then type su, enter, password, then type “edit /boot/brub/menu.lst” and see the list, and then I’ll be able to change that from there and save it?