Hey all,

I've always had trouble installing the fglrx drivers in openSuSE, but I can't figure this one out. I tried installing the drivers from the packages in the ATI repository. They load fine and the drivers load fine (from dmesg):

fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
[fglrx] Adapter chains initialized successfully!
[fglrx] CF object manager initialized successfully!
[fglrx] vendor: 1002 device: 4153 count: 1
[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 1402 MBytes.
[fglrx] ASYNCIO init succeed!
[fglrx] PAT is enabled successfully!
[fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.49.7 [May 12 2008] with 1 minors
[fglrx] Disable PAT
[fglrx] asyncIODestroy finished!
[fglrx] module unloaded - fglrx 8.49.7 [May 12 2008]
[fglrx] CF object manager de-initialized successfully!
[fglrx] Adapter chains de-initialized successfully!
[fglrx] Adapter chains initialized successfully!
[fglrx] CF object manager initialized successfully!
[fglrx] vendor: 1002 device: 4153 count: 1
[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 1402 MBytes.
[fglrx] ASYNCIO init succeed!
[fglrx] PAT is enabled successfully!
[fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.49.7 [May 12 2008] with 1 minors
and Sax2 even displays a screen when I go to configure it. However, when I make changes to the configuration and try to test them, or when I try to boot into runlevel 5, I get (from X.0.log, just the last few lines):

(II) fglrx(0): POWERplay version 3. 1 power state available:
(II) fglrx(0): 1. 250/196MHz @ 50Hz [enable load balancing]

Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x6a) [0x49175a]
1: /lib64/libc.so.6 [0x7f85f1bcf660]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting
I have tried installing the drivers from the ATI website, but the fglrx module won't load because it has an unknown symbol. I've tried disabling AIGLX and Composite, and I've tried every other method I can find out there on the web. I've also ensured the AGP aperture size in the BIOS is correct.

This card worked fine (after about 3 weeks of trying to get it to work) in 10.3. The same things I tried then aren't working now.

Here's uname -a:
2.6.25.5-1.1-default #1 SMP 2008-06-07 01:55:22 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Let me know if there's any other logs you need.

Thanks!

Tim