Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Rare date command bug

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    As. - Paraguay - GMT -4
    Posts
    95

    Default Rare date command bug

    This bug is causing me a lot of problems but seems impossible to workarround it. Apparently it just happens with the version 6.9 and with a particular date "2008-03-08 23:59:59", not another.
    Look!
    Code:
    carlosnblnx:/home/carlos # date --date='+1 seconds 2008-03-08 23:59:59' '+%F %H:%M:%S'
    2008-03-08 23:00:00
    Should be 2008-03-09 00:00:00!!!

    Now with the same month and day but another year
    Code:
    carlosnblnx:/home/carlos # date --date='+1 seconds 2007-03-08 23:59:59' '+%F %H:%M:%S'
    2007-03-09 00:00:00
    Works!
    Finally, same year, day.
    Code:
    carlosnblnx:/home/carlos # date --date='+1 seconds 2008-04-08 23:59:59' '+%F %H:%M:%S'
    2008-04-09 00:00:00
    I really don't know why this happens.

    date version
    Code:
    carlosnblnx:/srv/www/htdocs/show_stat # date --version
    date (GNU coreutils) 6.9
    Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software.  You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of
    the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
    There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
    
    Written by David MacKenzie.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,504
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Rare date command bug

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 21:46:04 GMT
    castord <castord@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > This bug is causing me a lot of problems but seems impossible to
    > workarround it. Apparently it just happens with the version 6.9 and
    > with a particular date "2008-03-08 23:59:59", not another.
    > Look!
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > carlosnblnx:/home/carlos # date --date='+1 seconds 2008-03-08
    > 23:59:59' '+%F %H:%M:%S' 2008-03-08 23:00:00
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    > Should be 2008-03-09 00:00:00!!!
    >
    > Now with the same month and day but another year
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > carlosnblnx:/home/carlos # date --date='+1 seconds 2007-03-08
    > 23:59:59' '+%F %H:%M:%S' 2007-03-09 00:00:00
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    > Works!
    > Finally, same year, day.
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > carlosnblnx:/home/carlos # date --date='+1 seconds 2008-04-08
    > 23:59:59' '+%F %H:%M:%S' 2008-04-09 00:00:00
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    > I really don't know why this happens.
    >
    > date version
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > carlosnblnx:/srv/www/htdocs/show_stat # date --version
    > date (GNU coreutils) 6.9
    > Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    > This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the
    > terms of the GNU General Public License
    > <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. There is NO WARRANTY, to the
    > extent permitted by law.
    > Written by David MacKenzie.
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    >

    Hi
    Works fine here, before and after an update to the timezone data.

    malcolml@gnome-vm:~> date --date='+1 seconds 2008-03-08 23:59:59' '+%F
    %H:%M:%S'
    2008-03-09 00:00:00

    malcolml@gnome-vm:~> date --date='+1 seconds 2007-03-08 23:59:59' '+%F
    %H:%M:%S'
    2007-03-09 00:00:00

    malcolml@gnome-vm:~> date --date='+1 seconds 2008-04-08 23:59:59' '+%F
    %H:%M:%S'
    2008-04-09 00:00:00

    malcolml@gnome-vm:~> date --version
    date (GNU coreutils) 6.9
    Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the
    terms of the GNU General Public License
    <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. There is NO WARRANTY, to the
    extent permitted by law.

    Written by David MacKenzie.

    malcolml@gnome-vm:~> uname -a
    Linux gnome-vm 2.6.22.17-0.1-default #1 SMP 2008/02/10 20:01:04 UTC
    i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

    malcolml@gnome-vm:~> cat /etc/SuSE-release
    openSUSE 10.3 (i586)
    VERSION = 10.3

    malcolml@gnome-vm:~> date
    Wed Jul 2 17:57:48 CDT 2008

    malcolml@gnome-vm:~> rpm -qa |grep timezone
    timezone-2007k-3.1

    Now an update to timezone data

    malcolml@gnome-vm:~> date --date='+1 seconds 2008-03-08 23:59:59' '+%F
    %H:%M:%S'
    2008-03-09 00:00:00

    malcolml@gnome-vm:~> date --date='+1 seconds 2007-03-08 23:59:59' '+%F
    %H:%M:%S'
    2007-03-09 00:00:00

    malcolml@gnome-vm:~> date --date='+1 seconds 2008-04-08 23:59:59' '+%F
    %H:%M:%S'
    2008-04-09 00:00:00

    malcolml@gnome-vm:~> rpm -qa |grep timezone
    timezone-2008c-0.1

    malcolml@gnome-vm:~> date
    Wed Jul 2 18:06:56 CDT 2008

    Maybe something to do with your timezone?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP2 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.23-smp
    up 2 days 6:14, 2 users, load average: 0.36, 1.52, 1.24
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 173.14.09


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    As. - Paraguay - GMT -4
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Rare date command bug

    Are you using opensuse 10.3? with CentOS 4.1 works fine.
    I know that only matters the date --version but I also think that exists the possibility that the OS version could affect the final result.

    here my date output
    Code:
    Wed Jul  2 19:19:42 PYT 200

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,504
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Rare date command bug

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:36:05 GMT
    castord <castord@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > Are you using opensuse 10.3? with CentOS 4.1 works fine.
    > I know that only matters the date --version but I also think that
    > exists the possibility that the OS version could affect the final
    > result.
    >
    > here my date output
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > Wed Jul 2 19:19:42 PYT 200
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    >

    Hi
    Yes that was on 10.3 vmware machine with the 6.9 version. Do you have
    the same kernel and timezone rpm?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP2 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.23-smp
    up 2 days 6:54, 1 user, load average: 0.10, 0.07, 0.24
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 173.14.09


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    As. - Paraguay - GMT -4
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Rare date command bug

    Yes, same OS, same kenel version.
    My timezone is different because I am in Paraguay.
    I can't explain myself how fails just that constant datetime. The timezone should not affect because we are using the same calendar format.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,504
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Rare date command bug

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 00:26:04 GMT
    castord <castord@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > Yes, same OS, same kenel version.
    > My timezone is different because I am in Paraguay.
    > I can't explain myself how fails just that constant datetime. The
    > timezone should not affect because we are using the same calendar
    > format.
    >
    >

    Hi
    Ok, are you running ntp?

    It sounds like the hardware clock, what is the output for the
    following commands as root user?

    gnome-vm:~ # hwclock --show
    Wed Jul 2 19:38:20 2008 -0.213457 seconds
    gnome-vm:~ # date
    Wed Jul 2 19:38:24 CDT 2008

    What is the computers BIOS time?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP2 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.23-smp
    up 2 days 7:41, 1 user, load average: 0.30, 0.22, 0.18
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 173.14.09


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    As. - Paraguay - GMT -4
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Rare date command bug

    NTPD is unused

    Code:
    carlosnblnx:/mnt/ntfs/nfs # hwclock --show
    Wed 02 Jul 2008 08:50:21 PM PYT  -0.000868 seconds
    carlosnblnx:/mnt/ntfs/nfs # date
    Wed Jul  2 20:50:36 PYT 2008
    What is the computers BIOS time?
    Another problem, it changes every time I reboot or halt the computer. Sometimes, just the time, and some other times, the date.

    Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,504
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Rare date command bug

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 01:06:03 GMT
    castord <castord@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > NTPD is unused
    >
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > carlosnblnx:/mnt/ntfs/nfs # hwclock --show
    > Wed 02 Jul 2008 08:50:21 PM PYT -0.000868 seconds
    > carlosnblnx:/mnt/ntfs/nfs # date
    > Wed Jul 2 20:50:36 PYT 2008
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > >
    > > What is the computers BIOS time?
    > >

    > Another problem, it changes every time I reboot or halt the computer.
    > Sometimes, just the time, and some other times, the date.
    >
    > Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.
    >
    >

    Hi
    Sounds like the cmos battery is on the way out. How old is the
    computer? Normally they are button ones type CR2032.

    In the meantime I would look at enabling ntp via yast and selecting a
    couple of time servers to sync with.

    It is interesting to note the hwclock is in 12HR mode, but date is in
    24HR.

    Can you also look in YaST -> system -> /etc/sysconfig editor and look
    under System -> Environment -> Clock and advise the settings of the
    four items in this section.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP2 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.23-smp
    up 2 days 8:28, 2 users, load average: 0.21, 0.20, 0.22
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 173.14.09


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •