Suggestions

1)Please let’s not start again moving too many threads to “Off Topic” (here it is called "the Soapbox), as it happened at forums.suselinuxsupport.de. If something is openSUSE related, why move it to “off topic”, or whatever you want to call it?
Example:
Why is YaST for GNOME different? - openSUSE Forums
2)I have to login every time. My account here is based on my Novell account.
3)Why do we have only 10 minutes to edit our posts? I am of the opinion that no limits are needed, but 10 minutes is too short, IMO.
4)I tried to reply a post with a “Thanks :)”, but it wasn’t accepted, topic too short. Another unnecessary limit, IMO.

Sorry if this post sounds like a rant, but I believe this forum needs some fine tuning, otherwise people who don’t need personal help will stay away.

It’s because of the NNTP gateway - it was a sort of a middle road solution that seemed to satisfy most people. I’m happy with it myself - at least we can now edit.

I haven’t looked at that thread but if it was an opinion based thread it will end up in soapbox, if it is a help thread it will end up in the correct forum section.

2)I have to login every time. My account here is based on my Novell account.

The iChain link that is used for authentication between the forums, the wiki, etc is set to expire after an hour.

3)Why do we have only 10 minutes to edit our posts? I am of the opinion that no limits are needed, but 10 minutes is too short, IMO.

As we are trying to have the best of both worlds by giving users their choice of web access or NNTP access, we limit the amount of time to edit so that edits can make it through the NNTP gateway. Otherwise, edits will not be updated through the gateway and NNTP users will have older stale information. Also, afaik both the old SF and SLS forums had a time limit for editing posts too. It just might have been a bit longer.

4)I tried to reply a post with a “Thanks :)”, but it wasn’t accepted, topic too short. Another unnecessary limit, IMO.

That’s a setting we have been looking into. I believe that is the default setting of the forum software.

First of all, thanks for your reply.
Back on topic, why do we have “General”, A place to converse about anything that doesn’t fit somewhere else (please do not post help questions here)?
IMHO, that would seem to me a better place to discuss openSUSE.

The iChain link that is used for authentication between the forums, the wiki, etc is set to expire after an hour.
It would seem to last much shorter than an hour. As soon as I close my browser, I have to login again.

It had some problems earlier due to the maintenance and last weekend it was a complete mess - nothing the forums guys could do about tho’.

It all depends on the content of the post. If the post is asking for help, it should be placed in the correct sub-forum of the Help section at the top of the site. If it is an opinion based thread or rant, it goes in soapbox. Being general is under the ommunity forum, it is meant to be for general conversation not really relating to technical help. To try and bolster a community feel and comradery between members.

It would seem to last much shorter than an hour. As soon as I close my browser, I have to login again.

this I’m unsure of, maybe it is something to do with the cookies.

I use Konqueror. As I stated in earlier threads on the login problems: as soon as you have no browser windows open with the site, you have to login again. As long as you have a browser window open you can open new browser windows and you will be accepted loged in. But that stops after some time (most probably the often mentioned hour).

After that timeout I mostly have big problems to log in again. I click ‘login’ and the only thing that happens is that my page is reloaded. I then have to remove the cookies from this site to let the login work again.

I earlier asked for a Howto or so because this is so different from any site I visit that I need more inside information to decide what is the most easy way for me to live with this.

Also the reading only of threads without being loged in is a pain because I then have nor my default skin, nor my timezone. These should be put in cookies! and not only in my personal data in the forum.