Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice about what Linux to choose

Default Advice about what Linux to choose

Hey guys!
    I've been thinking alot about moving on to linux (from Vista) these past few days and I've been looking around a bit. Now, I have never used linux in my entire life except for the "run from disc" test of ubuntu 8.04, so which linux would you guys recommend? The one I'm looking at atm is openSUSE 11.0. Is it ok to start with? I learn fast, love challenges and am not afraid to actually have to use a few commands instead of doing it windows style (clicking nearest icon then getting bluescreen ).

Oh, and one other thing. I wasn't able to find that many good screens of openSUSE, but how would you rate its gfx overall? Ugly? Good looking? I mean, Vista is beautiful imo, and I would love a linux that isnt like windows 95 or those old apple OS

Thanks for the help

Default Re: Advice about what Linux to choose

since you're asking it on a SUSE forum, most of us will recommend to go with SUSE. I'd recommend that you try out a few other distros as well and make up your mind which suits you best. There are a lot of noobs starting with SUSE and think it's a good distro to start with, but in the end only you can tell if you like it.

As for the looks, you can make SUSE look just the way you like it, you can even make it look like Windows Vista if you want. Linux is very versitile and flexible in this. If you want to see how SUSE looks, then check out the June and July screenshots threads in the Screenshots subforum - Screenshots - openSUSE Forums

Hi back at ya

Well, both choices you mention (Ubuntu or openSUSE) are both fine. You will find good support for both and though they do differ (mainly package management) they will both bring similar features.
    I personally like openSUSE more out of these two, but that's because I love YaST (configuration tool)!

To have a first glimps at what openSUSE 11 offers, have a look here : openSUSE News » Announcing openSUSE 11.0 GM

I'm also hearing Linux Mint is a nice distro for beginers. My feeling is that if you are a quick learner openSUSE will eventually bring you more power.

First rule : whatever you choose, enjoy!

Good luck,
    Wj

P.s. Don't get to excited about KDE 4 just yet... it's still under heavy development and I would wait to start using it as your main desktop until at least 4.1 is released (end of this month) and preferably suggest to wait for 4.2.
    Just my 2cents added...
    Have a lot of fun!

Thanks alot for your answers!
    After seeing the screenshot section (which shows very promising flexibility) I've decided to install openSUSE 11.0 later today. The download just finished

A quick question about Gnome, KDE etc etc.. What is the difference between em? Should I care what I choose in the beginning? And how come not to use KDE 4.0? Still a bit buggy?

Thanks for your quick answers guys

Edit: nvm about KDE 4.0.. It is stated in his response Selective reading I guess

both GNOME and KDE are desktop envirnoments and both have their pros anc cons. GNOME aims for simplicity and hides options from the user, KDE on the other hand gives full control to the user and allows him/her to do anything. Which one you choose, depends on your personal preference. Some like it clean and simple and some like it to be in full control of their desktop. It has been said that KDE is more suited for people who transition from Windows to Linux as it is more easy in that regard and does things very similar... I suggest you install them both and try them out. In the end, pick the one you like the most. Lots of people on this forum go for KDE though and SUSE has been known to prefer KDE over GNOME

I was actually reading a bit about it between my post and your answer and I decided to go with KDE So should i use 3.5? For the best stability? And, an (un)important question, do I have to change my hdd's partitions from NTFS? I use 2 harddrives, one 74 gb raptor disc (system disc) and one 500 gb samsung disc for storage. I really dont mind repartioting my system disc, but the storage drive might be a problem since i got ~400gb of stuff I want to keep and no other storage options

yes, you will need to make space for Linux. It is best to resize your NTFS partition so you can have space to install SUSE. The SUSE installer can resize it for you, however I don't know how good it is at resizeing NTFS partitions. You can use your storage drive with Linux too, no need to repartition it or change its file system.

As for the desktop environment, I'd go with KDE 3.5.9

KDE 3.5.9 it is then
    I'll just boot the install DVD and see where it takes me I guess. Thanks alot for the answers Always glad to know that there is people wanting to help out Wish me luck! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by MilkDrop View Post
    Hey again
    I just tried to install openSUSE 11.0 and it all went fine until I got to the partition screen. Thing is, I have 2 hard drives. One 74 gb raptor disc that I want to format and use with ext3 (I guess?) for linux. And one 500gb storage disc that I want to keep NTFS since it is only used for storing files.

Now, the problem is that when I get to the partition screen it makes up what it thinks is best for me which means screw my 500gb disc up. I want to leave my 500gb alone, and partition the 74gb to run as a system disc. I would appreciate some help in this matter. I don't really know how big swap partition I should have and all that. And how to make it leave my 500gb alone. Should i just delete all the changes to the 500gb so it ignores that disc totally? And manually make the swap files and all that for the raptor? Primary or extended?

I'm so confused..

Edit: To simplify, I need help with what options I should make for the 74gb and the 500gb. If someone could explain how I can make the 74gb a system disc with a swap file and root and all that on it (if needed). That extended/primary and where to start the partition screen.. It just makes me confused :/
    From other post, replies appreciated

There is custom partitioning available in the installer where you can select which disk to resize/install on and where to mount the others. I'd suggest that you make three partitions on the disk you want to install SUSE...

/
    /home
    swap

you can give swap a 1 GB space, / will be good with 10-15 GB and /home should be large since that'll be where you'll keep your files. As for your second disk, you can set its mount point to /media/data

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast