Samsung unified Driver fails

Installation of Samsung unified Driver fails in SUSE 11.0

I istalled the Unified Driver for the Laser Multifunction SCX-4200 by means of the istaller program supplied with it. in my two computers, 32 and 64 bit

The printer works fine, but the scanner is not detected.
Following the terminal output

linux-e1wc:/home/jcaser # sane-find-scanner

sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the

result is different from what you expected, first make sure your

scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that

you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8 [Samsung], product=0x341b [SCX-4200 Series]) at libusb:005:004

Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supportedby

SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend’s manpage.

Not checking for parallel port scanners.

Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports

can’t be detected by this program.

linux-e1wc:/home/jcaser # scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
linux-e1wc:/home/jcaser #
Has anyone a suggestion?

jcaser1948 schrieb:
> Installation of Samsung unified Driver fails in SUSE 11.0
>
>
> I istalled the Unified Driver for the Laser Multifunction SCX-4200 by
> means of the istaller program supplied with it. in my two computers, 32
> and 64 bit
>
> The printer works fine, but the scanner is not detected
You may have to mount usbf: issue as root:

'mount -t usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs` (or none)

Works perfectly for my SCX-4200 on 32-bit 11.0, no idea if it will work
on 64-bit, too.
For some funny reason automounting in fstab with an entry
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults,auto
0 0
does not automount at boot (anybody any idea why this does not work
??), but followed by a (root) ‘mount usbfs’ both printer and scanner
work fine.
Cheers NB

I have a Samsung ml-2510 and just use yast to install the drivers instead of the unified drivers on the cd. You could try it for yours

/Geoff

Geoff, as far as I know there is no YAST supplied driver for the SCX-4200 MFP (in particular for the scanner part), so you can’t but use the proprietary Samsung driver which does indeed work fine if you mount usbfs explicitly as described in a previous post.
Cheers nb

Danke Nikolaus
Could you please elaborate the command a little more?
I have introduced
mount -t usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs
but is munts nothing, since the computer says the mountigs point usbf does not exist.
I would be very grateful if you coul give me a detailled explanation
By the way I have tried to extract the dirver via CUPS from the delivered Samsumg package.This is possible for the printer, but not for the Sane program (or at least I was unable to find aut how it is done)
Danke nochmals. Die Sau müssen wir schlachten

Oh yes, the system is right (,of course ;-)),I typed the command in incorrect order, it should read:
‘mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb’
Sorry for this error: since I have put the line I mentioned before into /etc/fstab I currently just use ‘mount usbfs’ so I didn’t realize that I erroneously interchanged up ‘device’ and ‘mountpoint’.
In Deutsch:
Das System hat - natürlich - recht, das command muss richtig lauten:
‘mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb’
Da ich seit längerem eine etc/fstab Zeile wie oben erwähnt habe, brauche ich jetzt nur ‘mount usbfs’ zusagen, daher der ‘Dreher’ in meinem ersten posting.
Ich hoffe jetzt klappt’S, viel Erfolg!
Cheers NB

Thanks
Now I can mount “mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb” without problems and the system says “ok”.I have reinstalled the Samsung driver and now recognizes the SCX-4200 printer directly, without the detour over the YAST installer and the CUPS package, so it is an improvement.
However,it does not recognize the scanner
An inquire with Scanimage gives the following answer
scanimage -L
*** glibc detected *** scanimage: double free or corruption (!prev): 0x080556b8
which is also some improvement over the last run without “mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb”

Could you be so kind as to ive me a detailled secuency how to proceed?.
In German
Ich blicke jetz etwas mehr durch, danke.Dennoch mache ich wohl etwas falsch.Ich wäre für weitere Hilfe dankbar. Ich hoffe Ich falle nicht so auf dem Wecker.
Danke
J.Carlos Serrano

Thanks
Now I can mount “mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb” without problems and the system says “ok”.I have reinstalled the Samsung driver and now recognizes the SCX-4200 printer directly, without the detour over the YAST installer and the CUPS package, so it is an improvement.
However,it does not recognize the scanner
An inquire with Scanimage gives the following answer
scanimage -L
*** glibc detected *** scanimage: double free or corruption (!prev): 0x080556b8
which is also some improvement over the last run without “mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb”

Could you be so kind as to ive me a detailled secuency how to proceed?.
In German
Ich blicke jetzt etwas mehr durch, danke.Dennoch mache ich wohl etwas falsch.Ich wäre für weitere Hilfe dankbar. Ich hoffe Ich falle nicht so auf dem Wecker.
Danke
J.Carlos Serrano

:rolleyes:
Now I have tested “mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb” in the 64 bit computer and it works perfectly.50% of the problem is solved
Thanks again.
The devil knos why it does not work in the 32 bit computer
Any Ideas?
J.Carlos

Good to hear things are improving (at least on your 64b machine). As to the persisting problem on your 32b system I unfortunately don’t have any really new idea but can only recommend std procedures:

1. Deinstall Samsung driver
  2. Make sure cups and sane are correctly installed at a reasonably current level (hopefully 32b system is pretty current, too)
  3. ‘mount -t usbfs …’
  4. Reinstall Samsung’s (latest) driver (‘20070720152943906 …’)

Works perfect for my SCX-4200 on a couple of 32b systems (opensuse 10.2, 10.3, 11.0, Ubuntu 7.10, 8.04) both on old (2001/2) and new (2007) PC-HW.
Good luck!
NB

I have reinstalled the Sane, the cups and the driver in the 32 bits computer and now the system recognizes the scanner and the printer, so this matter is finish.
I have now the problem with the SANE package. It works fine when logged as root, but refuses to work with the GIMP and also when I launch SANE as a normal user.
I did not change any permits, everything is installed with the SUSE 11.0 default configuration
Any suggestions?

I understand the scanner now works also on the 32b system congratulations!
As to the gimp/sane question I think you should not ho along the cups/sane path (and also not start sane thru gimp’s file menu (file->fetch->xscanimage, I think somewhere in the Samsung doc is a warning not employ sane xscanimage directly) but rely on the Samsung driver itself:

1. Click the Samsung Driver icon on the desktop
  2. Choose Scanner -> properties
  3. Do the scan (or preview & scan) which opens the Image Manager (IM)
  4. In IM choose Tools => Graphic Editor which presumably will start Gimp and open the scan as .bmp file
  5. If Gimp does not open as ‘Graphic Editor’ you could configure it accordingly via the ‘Configure Toole …’ entry in the IM Tools Menu
    This how I can scan pictiures dierctly into Gimp, should also work for you :slight_smile:
    Good luck NB

O.K.
It works.I can scann directly into The Gimp following your advice.Nevertheless I still fail to understand why I can scan with Sane as root and not as normal user
Danke für alles, Nobert
J.Carlos

Hi, I just remembered I was given a hint in an earlier thread to have a look at
Samsung SCX-4200 on Debian - JacoboTarrioOrg
which specifically addresses the problem of non-root access to SCX-4200 w/ sane/scanimage not working (related to a Samsung ‘special’ of trying to search the parallel port for whatsoever reasons and then crash/stop); the site also offers fixes to disable this parport scanning in the Samsung drivers up to 2.00.97. So far, I didn’t use this fix but I may give it a try as time allows (can live with either root access or the approach thru the Samsung driver I mentioned before to supply scans to Gimp or OpenOffice. Btw, funny corollary: in Win Vista, scanning directly into Gimp fails too, obviously due to a buggy (or non-Vista compliant ?) twain.exe plug-in in Gimp 2.4.5/6 :wink:
Good luck if you try the fix as described in the link given above
NB

Success! Just applied the fix from jacobo.tarrio.org mentioned in my previous post to the 20070720152943906_UnifiedLinuxDriver on openSUSE 11.0, exactly as described on jacobo.tarrio.org, i.e. including joining the ‘lp’ group (didn’t try if this is really mandatory), and now both Gimp and OpenOffice can directly scan from the SCX-4200!

As to the automatic mount of usbfs which did not work on openSUSE 11.0 (but on 10.2/3, Ubuntu 8.04) with a fstab line
‘usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults,auto 0 0’
I meanwhile applied a workaround by using
‘usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto,user 0 0’
in fstab plus a simple ‘mount usbfs’ in .profile.
No idea why openSUSE 11.0 (and only openSUSE 11.0) refuses to automount usbfs with the fstab line shown above, which works in 10.2, 10.3 and Ubuntu 7.10/8.04, appears to be an openSUSE 11.0 ‘special’ …

Give the ‘nopar’-fix a try and you will be given user-access to your SCX-4200!
Good luck NB

o.k
I have applied the patch and it works
I still fail to understand Samsung’s policy regarding LINUX .I acquired the SCX_4200 because it was specified as suitable for SUSE Linux and is supplied with a defective driver.Well in any case this problem is solved (but not in a clean manner).
In any case thanks to you
Das ist aber eine wirkliche Verschwörung, dami t LINUX das Geschäft nicht verdirbt

J.Carlos

Thanks for this. Works fine without the fix but will apply it later.

Just tried accessing the link to fix but his site is down. Anyone have a copy of the fix?

answer me please!did scanner work at 32b wersion of suse 11?I installed last vesion of drivers,but Samsung unified Driver say me that no scanners was identified.what i did wrangly?

Latest version 3.00.37 is available on the Samsung website. It fixes the scanning issues.