Thread: Kernel redistribution

ralonso NNTP User

Default Kernel redistribution

Hi

I'm researching in order to choose a distro for an HA Asterisk platform. I used to work with Debian Etch and Open Suse 10.X.

Everything is fine in both distros, but ... I'm working on kernel improving, and I miss the kernel compiling and packaging tools for OpenSUSE.

In Debian we can compile kernel, sources, modules and documents in .deb packages, specially useful for redistributing and maintenance.

How do I make rpm packages (consistently) in OpenSUSE distro?

Thanks.

Default Re: Kernel redistribution

Quote Originally Posted by ralonso View Post
    Hi

I'm researching in order to choose a distro for an HA Asterisk platform. I used to work with Debian Etch and Open Suse 10.X.

Everything is fine in both distros, but ... I'm working on kernel improving, and I miss the kernel compiling and packaging tools for OpenSUSE.

In Debian we can compile kernel, sources, modules and documents in .deb packages, specially useful for redistributing and maintenance.

How do I make rpm packages (consistently) in OpenSUSE distro?

Thanks.
    Get the src.rpms, extract it, do what you want with it and build with rpmbuild
    "If it ain't broke, find something wrong with it"

ralonsoal NNTP User

Thank you. I will try.

Or use "make rpm" instead of "make install" after you've configured a kernel, if you're not working from an existing one.

Cheers,
    KV

Quote Originally Posted by some-guy View Post
    Get the src.rpms, extract it, do what you want with it and build with rpmbuild
    You won't get it consistently with rpmbuild. See https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=176528#c4
    You need something like lbuild for that.