Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any madwifi drivers included with 11.0

Default any madwifi drivers included with 11.0

after i installed 10.3 gnome, my Netgear WG511T 108Mbps Cardbus adapter, Atheros AR5212 802.11abg, pciid: 168c:0013 did not find have any madwifi drivers to connect to the internet. with 10.3 there werent any madwifi drivers installed from the 10.3 installation.. i had to install madwifi drivers myself so i could connect to the internet.
    will i have to do the same thing with opensuse 11.0???
    are any madwifi drivers included in the 11.0 installation??

Default Re: any madwifi drivers included with 11.0

you'll have to download them, or, if you also have a wired connection,just add the repo & install with YaST

Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

last time with opensuse 10.3 i installed madwifi drivers -0.9.3.3-0.1.i586 & madwifi-kmp-default-0..9.3.3_2.6.22.16_0.2-0.1.i586 rpm's.. this time with a clean installation of opensuse 11 now i see in the network setup, hardware tab under module name i see 'ath5k'. does that mean i need an ath5k driver or does it mean thats what installed with opensuse 11??? kernel on 11.0 is 2.6.25.5-1.1-default
    i have ar5212/ar5213 netgear cardbus wg511t
    oh yeah where is the network manager next to the clock? i dont see one to use to connect to the internet. i had one on 10.3... how can i add one next to the clock
    so what madwifi drivers do i need??
    thanks

sorry ! kernel on 11.0 is 2.6.25.5-1.1-default
    is kernel on 11.0 is 2.6.25.5-1.1-pae

Added madwifi-0.9.4-1.i586.rpm & madwifi-kmp-pae-0.9.4_2.6.25.5_2-1.i586.rpm with yast install software and they installed, but when i type in a terminal su to root modprobe ath_pci, i get
    linux-html:/home/os # modprobe ath_pci
    linux-html:/home/os #

i typed lsmod and ath_pci is in list
    still only one light lit up.. how come other light in network card doesnt go on, is it a different command i need to type???

that looks ok, you won't get any visual response when modprobing unless there's an error. have you set it up in YaST now ? as for network manager applet, you may have to start it maually then configure it to start. go to SuSEmenu - ssytem - dektop applet & start it from there

Andy

i had to reboot for both netgear cardbus card lights to start blinking. i thought in a linux system you didnt have to reboot for drivers and programs to work like in windows

well i did a fresh install of opensuse 11 and it detected my wireless card out of the box as "ath5k", didnt installed any madwifi driver or anything... i guess you dont have to install anything... i havent... and my wireless works fine

nope you don't necessarily need to reboot. but, sometimes a recalcitrant module will need a re-boot.

Andy

yes, i saw the ath5k in the module name under network devices but only one light was on, on my card. both didnt light up so i dont know what when wrong ??? now i have two options in module name ath_pci and ath5k, if i choose ath5k only one light works on netgear card

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast