Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Crossover/Wine and MS Office in openSUSE 11.0

  1. #1
    wandm NNTP User

    Default Crossover/Wine and MS Office in openSUSE 11.0

    Hi, for some reason I'm not able to install Office 2000 using Crossover 5.0.3 to my new 11.0. It starts the installation but stalls at some point (at about 70%). This has not been a problem in 10.3 nor in Kubuntu (7.04/7.10). I have tried with a couple of different Office 2000 disks and with a couple of 11.0 installations - so the problem really is in the operating system.

    Firstly, I know that to install programs with crossover to openSUSE, one must change the software memory use limit at /etc/sysconfig/ulimit.

    So, is there anyone who has managed to get Office 2000 (or higher) to run well with openSUSE 11 either with crossover or wine? Could you please tell me what you have done to achieve this (what version of wine/crossover, what Office, any tricks needed)?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,450

    Default Re: Crossover/Wine and MS Office in openSUSE 11.0

    Cannot help with the direct request but I'm not sure why you want to install Office 2000; the Novell edition of OpenOffice 2.4 will do pretty well everything Office 2000 can do and more unless you are using Access for which there is no Linux equivalent.

    It is possible that, because Office 2000 is so old, there is now an incompatibility with Wine.

  3. #3
    wandm NNTP User

    Default Re: Crossover/Wine and MS Office in openSUSE 11.0

    Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    the Novell edition of OpenOffice 2.4 will do pretty well everything Office 2000 can do
    Sure it's a close substitute but does not do what I need. I collaborate with people and we track changes in complex documents with equations etc. I just checked, and OO 2.4 will screw up my documents - endnotes have changed place, some formulas are screwed up, and some other minor stuff.

    So let's get this thread back to the original question, OK?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Crossover/Wine and MS Office in openSUSE 11.0

    Not sure whether it actually works but have you thought about trying Wine 1.0 instead of Crossover Office, which is based on an older version of Wine? Or the version of Wine that comes with openSUSE 11, should be 0.96_aka_1.0rc3.

    Btw, I can totally understand your request. OpenOffice is nice but it's not MS Office. Most people don't seem to understand that (or don't want to understand it - god bless ideology!). I've been running Office XP on my Linux installs for years because it's just so much better (and faster!) than OpenOffice.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vsters, Sweden ex. Highbury London UK
    Posts
    1,245

    Default Re: Crossover/Wine and MS Office in openSUSE 11.0

    The latest wine is 1.1 (available as an update if you add the repo) and you can use it to install office 2000 (even 2003 if you need to)

    /Geoff

    Quote Originally Posted by mj42 View Post
    Not sure whether it actually works but have you thought about trying Wine 1.0 instead of Crossover Office, which is based on an older version of Wine? Or the version of Wine that comes with openSUSE 11, should be 0.96_aka_1.0rc3.

  6. #6
    Shark_Tek NNTP User

    Default Re: Crossover/Wine and MS Office in openSUSE 11.0

    You have an older version of Crossover Office Right now they are on the 7.0. Since the version 5 there were a few changes on KDE/Gnome that could be stopping you to install it.

  7. #7
    Robert Smits NNTP User

    Default Re: Crossover/Wine and MS Office in openSUSE 11.0

    wandm wrote:

    >
    > Hi, for some reason I'm not able to install Office 2000 using Crossover
    > 5.0.3 to my new 11.0. It starts the installation but stalls at some
    > point (at about 70%). This has not been a problem in 10.3 nor in
    > Kubuntu (7.04/7.10). I have tried with a couple of different Office
    > 2000 disks and with a couple of 11.0 installations - so the problem
    > really is in the operating system.
    >
    > Firstly, I know that to install programs with crossover to openSUSE,
    > one must change the software memory use limit at /etc/sysconfig/ulimit.
    >
    >
    > So, is there anyone who has managed to get Office 2000 (or higher) to
    > run well with openSUSE 11 either with crossover or wine? Could you
    > please tell me what you have done to achieve this (what version of
    > wine/crossover, what Office, any tricks needed)?
    >
    >


    Yes. I have 64 bit openSUSE 11.0, on a T61 laptop. Crossover Linux Pro 7.0.2
    installs and runs just fine. MS Office 2000 also installs with CrossOver,
    no tricks needed, it just installs and runs. I have it for some
    applications that I need to run MS Access and Publisher on. I haven't had
    to mess with ulimits for years.

    Are you using the rpm or the shell installer? I recommend the latter, BTW.
    --
    bob@rsmits.ca (Robert Smits, Ladysmith BC)

    "I'm not one of those who think Bill Gates is the devil. I simply suspect
    that if Microsoft ever met up with the devil, it wouldn't need an
    interpreter." - Nicholas Petreley


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •