Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why in the #%&# would SUSE not have this?

Default Why in the #%&# would SUSE not have this?

I've spent a week trying to get SUSE internet working.

I posted more info, but no answers.

I went to a Business Expo, and found a few
    tech business there. I asked each one, How can I get the internet to work in Linux?

I found that Linux only works on a very narrow list of hardware. If it doesn't work, you can try and fix it, but most of the time, you can't get it to work. If it doesn't work, change hardware and it will.

Wanting to succeed, I gave it one last try. Of course, it didn't work.

Before I totally give up, I tried one last distro (all 5 haven't worked), Puppy Linux.

I clicked on internet connection. It asked me if I wanted to search my computer for an internet connection? I clicked OK.

It found my internet adapter no problem (SUSE can't, not even if I look for it). Puppy found it for me. It then found all the internet connections I can receive. I clicked on mine, it asked for my password, connected no problem.

Of course, I couldn't get the web working, but I was connected.

SUSE can't find anything to connect with, puppy asks if it can find a way to connect. After it finds my wireless adapter, it connects to my network.

I would like to use SUSE. Why in the #%$& doesn't a major distro like SUSE, have the ability to search my computer for a way to connect to the internet, like Puppy?

Thank you,
    Chris.

Default Re: Why in the #%&# would SUSE not have this?

I understand your frustration, but without posting information about your system, there's really no reasonable way for anybody to answer your question.

There should be no need to "search" for ways to connect to the internet, network devices are either detected by the kernel or not.

What type of hardware do you have? How do you connect to the internet?

I think you'll find the majority of users on this forum have no issue with connectivity out-of-the-box (wifi sometimes excepted), so without knowing more about your particular situation, it's hard to know where the problem lies and what openSUSE should be doing to address it.

Cheers,
    KV

I use a wireless Cardbus Adapter from Airlink 101, on a HP ze5200 2.6GHz Laptop.

Hi happydog500; welcome to the OpenSuse forums; sorry to hear you are having problems connecting from your wireless enabled laptop to a wireless router?

there is a specific wireless sub-forum; at the beginning of it are what are called "stickies":

if you would like to get internet access using OpenSuse, if you have a read at ... say ... the first of these stickies; and then post the information that is asked for;

the wireless experts will try to help you;

the linux community is continually working to improve, and make things easier; I am sure folks would be pleased to try to help you;

I tried, cut and paste doesn't work in termanal. It is way to much to type.
    Is there a way to get the list of things from Linux Laptop to a windows machine?
    I tryed to cut and past (Oo) to a thumb drive, then on my Win desktop, post. I got to the part where I wanted to cut and paste but it didn't work in termanal.
    What can I do?

PV NNTP User

On Sat January 24 2009 04:56 pm, happydog500 wrote:

>
    > I tried, cut and paste doesn't work in termanal. It is way to much to
    > type.
    > Is there a way to get the list of things from Linux Laptop to a
    > windows machine?
    > I tryed to cut and past (Oo) to a thumb drive, then on my Win desktop,
    > post. I got to the part where I wanted to cut and paste but it didn't
    > work in termanal.
    > What can I do?
    >
    >

happydog;
    When you execute a command in the terminal, you can redirect the output to a
    text file. Add to the command: > (file name)
    As an example:
    Code:
    su
    ifconfig -a > myifconfig.txt
    You can then cut and paste from myifconfig.txt. The file will be created in
    your home directory.
    --
    P. V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you." Red Green

I went to the sticky. I already did that. The examples I see are for USB or PCI Adapter.
    Not sure what to do for a Cardbus Adapter.
    I searched the internet for hours last night, trying to find a command for a cardbus.

The point I was making was, SUSE doesn't see my connection. Puppy didn't ether.

It asked if I wanted to find it. Puppy listed all possible connections (not routers, but connections from my computer).

I thought it would be good to have SUSE go through my computer and find an internet connection, from the GUI.

Guess I didn't understand.

Thanks for the reply's. Hope I can get this figured out so I don't have to put windows back.

Chris.

After sleeping on it, I followed the instructions again (learned a lesson here, if you can't get something, after a while it maybe good to leave and come back another time).

Will this help?

00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: 02 micro, Inc. 0Z601/6912/7112EO CardBus/SmartCardBus Controller.

Hi happydog500;

in our terminal, Ctr+C and Ctr+V do not work; one needs to either add a shift so it becomes Shift+Ctr+C for copy; or one goes to the menu on the top line, and uses the command from there:

if you type:

/sbin/lspci
    and after that

/usr/bin/lsusb
    all of these postings are around getting a wireless connection; do you have a router nearby; many suggest just plugging a laptop via an ethernet wire into a router, just to get going ......

Quote Originally Posted by happydog500 View Post
    I use a wireless Cardbus Adapter from Airlink 101, on a HP ze5200 2.6GHz Laptop.
    From a terminal type:
    Code:
    lspci -v
    Post the output relating to the wireless adaptor so that the chipset can be identified.
    Paul Turner

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast