Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opensuse friendly Printer/Scanner

Default Opensuse friendly Printer/Scanner

Hi all,

Wondering what a great quality printer/scanner that is easy to work with and install on OpenSuse.

Great picture printer would be an asset, and scanning into PC would be an asset as well.

Thanks

Heeter
    Linux Counter 475994

Default Re: Opensuse friendly Printer/Scanner

HP printers and scanners work well with Linux because HP provides drivers to support them.

I have one of the PSC series but almost anything you fancy should work OK.

Great, Thanks,

The Epson CX3810 I have is giving me fits with OpenSuse.

Thanks again

Heeter
    Linux Counter 475994

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heeter View Post
    Wondering what a great quality printer/scanner that is easy to work with and install on OpenSuse.

Great picture printer would be an asset, and scanning into PC would be an asset as well.
    I'm also contemplating a printer purchase, but my requirements are different. I do not want a scanning function. I would like doublesidded printing if possible. And the printer can not be too big, due to the location where we plan to place the printer.

Here is an older thread output of my thoughts on this:
    Pondering What Hp Inkjet Printer To Purchase - openSUSE Forums

hmm.. that post was truncated in the import from the old sls forum, to our new forum. The original is here:
    Pondering What Hp Inkjet Printer To Purchase - SuSE Linux Forums

Oldcpu, you can take a look at the Brother printers. They have several duplex models and they (can't tell if all of them) just work in opensuse.
    It is abhorrent the spiritual greed of those that knowing something, do not seek the transfer of such knowledge.

Miguel de Unamuno - Writer (1864-1936)

Most HP, Brother, and EPSON printers work with Linux. Brother has the only MFPs that I've had success with under Linux; they provide very good quality drivers. Stay away from Lexmarks. I've never gotten one to work with Linux, and the ink costs more than the printer. Dell printers are just rebranded Lexmarks. Not sure of your price range, but some higher end laser printers are PostScript-compatible; so they don't even need a CUPS driver.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JopSway View Post
    Oldcpu, you can take a look at the Brother printers. They have several duplex models and they (can't tell if all of them) just work in opensuse.
    Thanks JopSway! I dont want to hijack Heeter's thread too much, as he is looking for an "all-in-one" printer, and I am not.

However I did note none of those Brother printer's meet my requirements (I confess I did not list all my requirements). I want a colour inkjet. Those Brother printers in the provided URL are lasers. Also those Brother printers are all too big. ... I've seen full duplex HP inkjet printers that print double sided that are smaller.

I also have a significant preference for HP, because of HP support to printers. While I have succeeded in getting Lexmark printers to work, and have helped users get their Brother and Epson printers to work under Linux, the support provided by Lexmark, Brother, and Epson for Linux is dismal in comparison to HP. Hence I refuse to purchase their printer products. Its a matter of principle for me.

I did find some third party drivers for my epson cx3810, but I cannot seem to get them installed. I found them at Epson Developers - Home It would be nice to get them working, though.

I would rather get a proper, working out of the box printer/scanner rather than toiling with this setup.

hey, anyone wanna buy an epson cx3810 in great shape?

Heeter
    Linux Counter 475994

Tilman Schmidt NNTP User

john hudson schrieb:
    > HP printers and scanners work well with Linux because HP provides
    > drivers to support them.

Full ACK. I'm very happy with my OfficeJet J5785 AIO.
    It also does fax, in case someone's interested in that.

HTH
    T.

I've had really good luck with getting basic HP printers configured. I could never figure out how to measure the ink levels, though. When I used to use Windows, there was a tool that would tell me the ink levels in the cartridges. I can't do that now, or at least I don't know how.

I had a very hard time getting an HP PSC all-in-one printer+scanner combo to work. I gave up trying to get that printer configured under SuSE, and I installed Mandriva for my parents at their house, since it was automatically configured under it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast