Thread: NEWBIE - How do I get all the possible YAST2 repositories?

Exclamation NEWBIE - How do I get all the possible YAST2 repositories?

New to OpenSuSe. I've been on Linux now for about a year.
    Yast is a bit confusing to me since I'm used to Synaptic in Ubuntu.
    It has been almost completely useless so far. I am unable to use the Suse update function, or find any of the packages I need because it seems that I don't have any useful repositories installed. I've just spent a few hours reading over how-to's on installing useful repositories and nothing has worked. I'm sure it's partially my fault, being new to this and all. Can somebody walk me through installing ALL the useful repositories for Yast (official and unofficial)?

I would appreciate any help.

Blog Entries

Default Re: NEWBIE - How do I get all the possible YAST2 repositorie

Quote Originally Posted by theprinciple View Post
    Can somebody walk me through installing ALL the useful repositories for Yast (official and unofficial)?
    IMHO you don't need many repos. I believe that OSS, NON-OSS, Update, and Packman are sufficient.

specifically, go to this URL:
    Repositories - openSUSE-Community
    and follow the link for your openSUSE version (which you neglected to mention). I can not be more specific, because of that omission. But that URL should be all you need.

You can get more information from our application's stickie:
    Welcome to applications - openSUSE Forums

... and WELCOME to our forum, and thankyou for participating.

Which version of openSUSE are you using, and how did you install it?

On openSUSE 11.0, all the useful major repositories are already available after first installation, but you have to enable them.

It's a bit worrying that you can't do updates. Are you sure you have a working Internet connection?

The repositories are set up in the Yast Software Repositories module. In 11.0, you can specify a repository with just the entire url or more fine-grain, specifying protocol, server, and directory. Just different methods to enter the same data. The instructions here:

Add Package Repositories to YaST - openSUSE

have not been updated for 11.0. The main method shown is still used, but additionally now in 11.0, you can just enter an entire url on one line and Yast will figure it out.

The main repositories, including updates, are here:

Package Repositories - openSUSE

Additional repositories are listed here:

Additional YaST Package Repositories - openSUSE

Note that you should be very careful to only add those you know you need. Most likely that will be Packman and VLC, possibly a repo from your graphics card vendor. Under the "projects" link you will find quite a few other repo's not specifically listed; again, this is for advanced use.

For the main repositories, you can use a mirror instead. See:

Mirrors Released Version - openSUSE

Smile Re: NEWBIE - How do I get all the possible YAST2 repositorie

Hey everyone - mingus, oldcpu, kj:
    Thanks for the fast and friendly replies!

All your advice helped.
    I was able to install the repositories and do a huge update of a lot of backlogged stuff.

oldcpu - yea, I forgot to mention my version - 10.3. (I thought that was the latest. I didn't realize there was a version 11!)

kj - I did have an internet connection... it would just give me error messages about adding repositories. But it works now (though I did have to guess my way through a few dependency conflicts... not sure how to deal with those. I think it was a result of so many updates all at once)

Mingus - is the concern about adding ALL the repositories based on the fact that doing so makes Yast take FOREVER to initialize? or is there something more that i should be concerned about?

Glad to be here.

Thanks again!

No, the concern is not re Yast loading time, although with 10.3 that would take a while. The entire software management has been rewritten for 11.0, and it is very fast.

The concern is one of package versions. One can get into compatibility issues. Or, there can be alternate versions of a package for a particular feature, which can create problems with versions of other packages. Or, the other repo could have a version which is pulled in as a dependency by another package because it is the newest, but is not what you want. Yast helps sort out dependency issues, but if you get a kernel built for a special purpose and don't realize it, you could find yourself s.o.l. This gets especially true with new and fast-changing software (like early versions of Compiz or Firefox, for example).

Bottom line is, you want to only be using what you know you need. You can always add them and then enable any one selectively when needed.

mingus
    good to know. I'll go fix that. You suggest I only enable the 4 basic ones then?

ps. is there a way to update to 11 easily?