Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Net.install-Server name confusion

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    19

    Default Net.install-Server name confusion

    Hi there, Im trying my last hope effort for installing Opensuse as every other method wont work with my machine by using the internet installation. Im pretty green with computer and internet setup and still need a hand understanding some basic things. I seem to have copied the ISO disk Image onto CD succesfully (the 71MB one) I boot it fine and I follow the instructions given at INSTALL Internet - openSUSE . However Im a little confused as to which directories Im supposed to be making note of and typing into the fields during the setup after pressing "F4" For me the closest location (Im in Quebec,Canada) is probably Massechusets USA. Ive typed various things in the field asking for the server including just leaving the default 'download.opensuse.org' and for the directory I type: Index of /opensuse/distribution/11.0/repo/oss
    I click on Installation, it loads for a while but then an error message comes up saying 'CANNOT FIND THE OPENSUSE REPOSITORY, ACTIVATING MANUAL SETUP' This is probably a no brainer for most of you but Im confused as to what the 'Directory' Im supposed to enter if Im using the massechusets USA mirror. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you,
    Michael

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,324
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Net.install-Server name confusion

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:26:04 GMT
    azitizz <azitizz@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > Hi there, Im trying my last hope effort for installing Opensuse as
    > every other method wont work with my machine by using the internet
    > installation. Im pretty green with computer and internet setup and
    > still need a hand understanding some basic things. I seem to have
    > copied the ISO disk Image onto CD succesfully (the 71MB one) I boot it
    > fine and I follow the instructions given at 'INSTALL Internet -
    > openSUSE' (http://en.opensuse.org/INSTALL_Internet) . However Im a
    > little confused as to which directories Im supposed to be making note
    > of and typing into the fields during the setup after pressing "F4" For
    > me the closest location (Im in Quebec,Canada) is probably Massechusets
    > USA. Ive typed various things in the field asking for the server
    > including just leaving the default 'download.opensuse.org' and for the
    > directory I type: 'Index of /opensuse/distribution/11.0/repo/oss'
    > (http://mirrors.med.harvard.edu/opens.../11.0/repo/oss)
    > I click on Installation, it loads for a while but then an error
    > message comes up saying '*CANNOT FIND THE OPENSUSE REPOSITORY,
    > ACTIVATING MANUAL SETUP*' This is probably a no brainer for most of
    > you but Im confused as to what the 'Directory' Im supposed to enter
    > if Im using the massechusets USA mirror. Any help would be sincerely
    > appreciated. Thank you,
    > Michael
    >
    >

    Hi
    You need to add the / at the end
    eg
    <your_mirror>/distribution/11.0/repo/oss/

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP2 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.23-smp
    up 19 days 13:15, 0 users, load average: 0.83, 0.79, 0.53
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 173.14.09


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: Net.install-Server name confusion

    Sory I actually put the / at the end when I tried it but forgot to type it here. Am I using the right address for the 'Server'? (as opposed to the directory)?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,324
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Net.install-Server name confusion

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:46:34 GMT
    Malcolm <malcolm_nospamlewis@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:26:04 GMT
    > azitizz <azitizz@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > Hi there, Im trying my last hope effort for installing Opensuse as
    > > every other method wont work with my machine by using the internet
    > > installation. Im pretty green with computer and internet setup and
    > > still need a hand understanding some basic things. I seem to have
    > > copied the ISO disk Image onto CD succesfully (the 71MB one) I boot
    > > it fine and I follow the instructions given at 'INSTALL Internet -
    > > openSUSE' (http://en.opensuse.org/INSTALL_Internet) . However Im a
    > > little confused as to which directories Im supposed to be making
    > > note of and typing into the fields during the setup after pressing
    > > "F4" For me the closest location (Im in Quebec,Canada) is probably
    > > Massechusets USA. Ive typed various things in the field asking for
    > > the server including just leaving the default
    > > 'download.opensuse.org' and for the directory I type: 'Index
    > > of /opensuse/distribution/11.0/repo/oss' (http://mirrors.med.harvard.edu/opens.../11.0/repo/oss)
    > > I click on Installation, it loads for a while but then an error
    > > message comes up saying '*CANNOT FIND THE OPENSUSE REPOSITORY,
    > > ACTIVATING MANUAL SETUP*' This is probably a no brainer for most of
    > > you but Im confused as to what the 'Directory' Im supposed to enter
    > > if Im using the massechusets USA mirror. Any help would be sincerely
    > > appreciated. Thank you,
    > > Michael
    > >
    > >

    > Hi
    > You need to add the / at the end
    > eg
    > <your_mirror>/distribution/11.0/repo/oss/
    >

    Hi
    Ok, try protocol http, the server is
    mirrors.med.harvard.edu/opensuse and the directory is
    /distribution/11.0/repo/oss/

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP2 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.23-smp
    up 2:32, 2 users, load average: 0.35, 0.22, 0.20
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 173.14.09


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,324
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Net.install-Server name confusion

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:24:29 GMT
    Malcolm <malcolm_nospamlewis@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:46:34 GMT
    > Malcolm <malcolm_nospamlewis@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:26:04 GMT
    > > azitizz <azitizz@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > >
    > > >
    > > > Hi there, Im trying my last hope effort for installing Opensuse as
    > > > every other method wont work with my machine by using the internet
    > > > installation. Im pretty green with computer and internet setup and
    > > > still need a hand understanding some basic things. I seem to have
    > > > copied the ISO disk Image onto CD succesfully (the 71MB one) I
    > > > boot it fine and I follow the instructions given at 'INSTALL
    > > > Internet - openSUSE' (http://en.opensuse.org/INSTALL_Internet) .
    > > > However Im a little confused as to which directories Im supposed
    > > > to be making note of and typing into the fields during the setup
    > > > after pressing "F4" For me the closest location (Im in
    > > > Quebec,Canada) is probably Massechusets USA. Ive typed various
    > > > things in the field asking for the server including just leaving
    > > > the default 'download.opensuse.org' and for the directory I type:
    > > > 'Index
    > > > of /opensuse/distribution/11.0/repo/oss' (http://mirrors.med.harvard.edu/opens.../11.0/repo/oss)
    > > > I click on Installation, it loads for a while but then an error
    > > > message comes up saying '*CANNOT FIND THE OPENSUSE REPOSITORY,
    > > > ACTIVATING MANUAL SETUP*' This is probably a no brainer for most
    > > > of you but Im confused as to what the 'Directory' Im supposed to
    > > > enter if Im using the massechusets USA mirror. Any help would be
    > > > sincerely appreciated. Thank you, Michael
    > > >
    > > >

    > > Hi
    > > You need to add the / at the end
    > > eg
    > > <your_mirror>/distribution/11.0/repo/oss/
    > >

    > Hi
    > Ok, try protocol http, the server is
    > mirrors.med.harvard.edu/opensuse and the directory is
    > /distribution/11.0/repo/oss/
    >

    Hi
    Now just had a thought, have you tried the manual setup?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP2 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.23-smp
    up 2:37, 2 users, load average: 0.03, 0.10, 0.14
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 173.14.09


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: Net.install-Server name confusion

    Thank you Malcom! It was successful using your advice. I would never have been able to figure it out on my own. As simple as it may be. I think all of this is the best thing to happen to computing. Im really happy with Opensuse and the whole community that supports it. Awesome.
    Namste,
    Michael

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •