Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revert to 10.3

Default Revert to 10.3

I recently installed opensuse 11.0 (w/ KDE4), and am overall dissatisfied with the experience. Is there any way to revert to 10.3? (Note: I do not wish to simply use KDE3. I wish to completely return to 10.3.) Is there any way to achieve this without uninstalling 11.0 and installing 10.3?

Default Re: Revert to 10.3

amontonarpapeles wrote:
    > I recently installed opensuse 11.0 (w/ KDE4), and am overall
    > dissatisfied with the experience. Is there any way to revert to 10.3?
    > (Note: I do not wish to simply use KDE3. I wish to completely return to
    > 10.3.) Is there any way to achieve this without uninstalling 11.0 and
    > installing 10.3?
    >
    >

Nope, you'll need to reinstall 10.3 if that is the version you would
    like to use.

Quote Originally Posted by amontonarpapeles View Post
    I recently installed opensuse 11.0 (w/ KDE4), and am overall dissatisfied with the experience.
    Just out of interest, would you care to enlarge a little on what particularly you don't like about 11.0?

Question Re: Revert to 10.3

Would just booting the v10.3 DVD and selecting Install correctly roll back from v11.0?

EdSSmith wrote:
    > Would just booting the v10.3 DVD and selecting Install correctly roll
    > back from v11.0?
    >
    >

Not really since it will format your drives.

I meant selecting Install and update system as if updating from 10.2 to 10.3 but instead updating from 11.0 to 10.3

You can try it. The question is whether it looks at package versions the way that the YaST software module does. If so, it will not upgrade.

There is a way to do what you want, but it will probably be very laborious, not to speak of the likely dependency issues you may have to resolve. In YaST, you could disable the 11.0 repositories and add the 10.3 repositories. Then in Software Management, select Package Groups, the last entry will list all the packages in the system. Right-click and select "Upgrade all in this list unconditionally" - I don't know if this will work, but it would be quick to test. If it doesn't, what would work would be to go through each installed package and choose the 10.3 version listed below, select it for upgrade.

I'm a bit surprised you wouldn't just use KDE 3.5.9 - it operates nearly identically to what's on 10.3. I'll also throw in that you can upgrade the installed KDE 4.0 to 4.1beta2 from the Factory/11.0 repo's. 4.1 has a lot more functionality, is more pleasing, more stable. Just fwiw.

Just the fast zypper alone is worth putting up with the occasional glitch to 11.0.

Once you have 11.0 going I can't see why you would go back to 10.3, and slow package management

I was exited to move to 11 from 10.3 which had trouble with my graphics but otherwise was good. Now with 11, I too am strongly considering going to 10.3 since 11 broke some essential things on my machine.

Particularly, I have not been able to use any USB storage devices and my USB keyboard wast not working either. I switched the keyboard for a PS/2 keyboard but I can't function without USB mass storage support. Is there a way only to revert the USB subsystem?

The good news is that booting, graphics and package management are faster which I do appreciate but unless I fix USB support, I'll have to return to 10.3.

- Itai

The actual deal is I upgraded 10.3 Reiser FS. There were no warnings but I gather this is not supposed to work. The upgrade went strangely compared to the instructions and does not handle my display properly which 10.3 did.

I would rather not reformat the hard disk to another file system at this time. However, is my best bet to bite the bullet and do a clean install of 10.3, choosing the new file system?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast