Thread: TV Card vs Sky TV

/earth/europe/uk/england/west-yorkshire/leeds/mystreet/myhouse

Default TV Card vs Sky TV

Hello

Unsure if anyone can help but thought I would post anyway (postcount++ hehe) ... I connected my Sky+ box to my PC's TV Card (Compro Videomate Gold) via s-video but whatever I try, I only seem to get a black and white picture. Does anyone know why this could be?

Just to add, I used to connect my PC to a TV using this exact same cable and the output was in colour so i guess the cable is a-ok. Oh and I don't have any other sources I could try connecting the s-video cable to to see if i get the same problem

Default Re: TV Card vs Sky TV

Could you clarifyis the S-Video port input or output. Are you sure it is a standard S-Video port. My video card has a port an S-Video cable will fit into, but requires an adaptor for S-Video output to actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by dmbrown00 View Post
    Could you clarifyis the S-Video port input or output. Are you sure it is a standard S-Video port. My video card has a port an S-Video cable will fit into, but requires an adaptor for S-Video output to actually work.
    Hi DM, thanks for the reply.
    On the back of the Sky box there is "S-Video Out" and on the TV card in the PC, the socket is marked "S-Video in". Like I say, I do get a picture but it's just in Black and White

S-Video has two components luma (Y) and chroma/color (C). The Y component is independent of your TV signal format. The C component is different based on if your video equipment is NTSC, PAL, or SCAM. Sky+ is a British device; so, it is probably PAL. Most computer equipment expects NTSC signals. There are PAL/NTSC converters, but they are very expensive. Best bet would be to see if your Sky+ box has an output format setting in the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by dmbrown00 View Post
    S-Video has two components luma (Y) and chroma/color (C). The Y component is independent of your TV signal format. The C component is different based on if your video equipment is NTSC, PAL, or SCAM. Sky+ is a British device; so, it is probably PAL. Most computer equipment expects NTSC signals. There are PAL/NTSC converters, but they are very expensive. Best bet would be to see if your Sky+ box has an output format setting in the menu.
    Yeah, the SKY+ box is set to PAL (the only other option is RGB which I also tried!); when I use ktv (i think that is what it's called) and go through the channel setup, I have the options for

composite
    s-video
    tv

and then on the next page the type of signal (eg PAL, NTSC and so on)

Naturally, I select s-video and PAL but for a laugh I did try other combinations which all gave the same result (with minor differences such as no picture at all when I chose NTSC!).

Perhaps it is the software I am using, does anyone know any alternatives to the bundled K-TV that I could try?

Perhaps Kaffeine will get the job done.

ah yes, i never thought of that (strange really as i use it for mp3s and avi files)

i'll give it a whirl and see what happens, cheers
    failing that then i'm just going to give it up and go without endless adverts and crappy reality tv .. thinking about it, i'm not sure why i wanted to put it through my pc in the first place hehe