Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Commercial Software Issue

Default Installing Commercial Software Issue

Dear Developers,

As you all know, the new SuSE 11.0 is out and everybody is raving about it. Only I have some issues with this version the biggest problem is that the support for commercial software- or legacy extensions is incomplete or interfering. An example of the list of unsupported or incompletely supported software.

1. skype application
    2. visual paradigm
    3. grisoft antivirus
    4. firewall applets
    5. java development
    6. realtime support
    7. etc...

Today I tried to install Visual Paradigm commercial license for which I paid $2500 for the commercial license. And this distribution, which costs $100 commercial license; gives me the following error message.

My company is developing software for Linux and Windows, but we need to take commercial systems into production and without support for commercial applications, we pay each day for lost development, -testing, -report and -coding costs. The issue with this version, and previous versions, is that people need to take it into production but developers appear not interested.

/usr/share/themes/Gilouche/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:30: error: lexical error or unexpected token, expected valid token

Anybody have the solution to fixing commercial support section?

Thank you in advance,

ing. E.H.A. van Tetering
    Software Engineer
    Skycos Technology

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installing Commercial Software Issue

Skype works fine for me. On 64-bit arch you have to install libqt4-32bit, libqt4-x11-32bit and any dependencies of them first.

Never bothered with AV, but then I don't have any Windows machines to worry about.

Don't know about the rest.

IANAD (I am not a developer) BTW.

Default re: Installing Commercial Software Issue

Dear Member,

No that was not what I was referring to. I also have the applications installed and they are partially functional. My point is, that I cannot take this system into production because of the following.

• for each application one types on average hunderd commands
    • every installation is non standardised and is obfuscated
    • configurations and other generic settings are obfuscated
    • realtime or networking usability is not applied smoothly
    • system is not tested on usability and generic frameworks

This is the general rule for commercial and paid for (!) licenses.

What I mean is that during configuration where the time issues are important. Every installation requires additional configuration and this takes time, even though the applications install smoothly on other platforms, there is much system administration work.

Application are not guaranteed to work quality assurance tests are missing.

Applications like commercial and paid for firewall and antivirus licenses work, but only partially, and they are interfered with. They do not work out of the box smoothly. This is a problem for people who want to bring the system into production.

Blog Entries

Well you should hassle Skype about their apps since it's a closed source app and they provide the package. Perhaps the problem is that they do not integrate their app into the repositories so the dependencies are unknown until you install it. It's as functional or not as it ever was in 10.x.

I don't know about the rest. Maybe developers read this forum, maybe not.

Visual Paradigm - Google Search shows that there is a Visual Paradigm for Linux. I'd visit one of those sites for help.

BTW, one of those links is to a Visual Paradigm community and you can get a community version free.
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac

For my tuppence and doing what few will...

Now this blog is very mmm, not sure how to describe it some will write it off as satire. IMO this is a frustrated linux user that sees a few bits that are holding Linux back.

Now I think much of what has been said stands true, which then leads to in a commercial environment. I wouldn't of thought openSUSE would be the best but perhaps SLED/SLES or RHEL.

This was supposed to be fixed by the LSB. Linux Hater's Blog: Standardizing Linux Suckiness
    Linux Hater's Blog: Standardizing Linux Suckiness 2.0
    As for the ones that wish to dismiss it so lightly so be it, this hasn't been posted for flames, but to concur that others do also think the same.

Regardless of my own opinion.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Not really, I actually like linux. I even have a fully functional linux version running under other distributions. The thing is that it is not linux that it is not working or that there are faults. The biggest thing is not complaining or not addressing issue I am addressing. Most of the things addressed are actually avoided by developers because they think it hurts linux.

This is not the truth why would they make such a nice interface for people not to work with it? What I say is the truth and people with any knowledge know this about this distribution. There are always more than one reason for something not to work and it is definitely not market share. What I am adressing is that it is not the way to run an operating system and that is also not linux developers intention. Things cannot change if you do not address them and I do not cut deals with my friends either to get people anything better with my slice on it.

can you certify this distribution to work out of the box commercial off the shelf?

.no.

I'm not actually sure what you're saying.

Now with out getting into my own opinions.

If I read that right you're saying it is the distro's fault that an ISV isn't supporting it properly. Now I'm not quite sure that is correct just as I don't really think its ISV's fault that it doesn't work on X distro.

What those blogs highlight is if x,y,z distro all use a similar base ISV's would do more development for linux, this I can't disagree with. There would also be more man hours looking at the same version to, for development and bug shooting. But could I ever see RH or Novell getting in the same bed for example?
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Excellent remark!

During my graduation I worked with redhat, because support for realtime clusters was widely available. When working with my own distribution I use slackware, because that compiles everything. When testing whether my hardware works I use ubuntu because they have the right commercial attitude. When expecting something new I work with international business machines linux because they develop for the latest hardware.

When I work with SUSE, there is a whole new ballgame there. The main developers are our neighbourly german friends. We live and work in peace together very tightly; and redhat and suse sometimes share the bed together?

You know who should share the bed?

• thinkfinger and finger printproject
    • redhat, novell and firmware cutters
    • ubuntu and german allied friends
    • gnome and kde window developers

Is that peace or what?

The problem is sometimes.

I had a discussion once why cant installing RH rpm's and Novell rpm's be the same, it can work but not consistently.

I actually worded it as similar to the trees, debian/ubuntu though that seems to be slipping to, gentoo and its derivatives what they do is work from the same pot as such(Or did going on comments about deb/ubu you can find).

If all the rpm distro's threw into the same pot and cherry picked it would be a win win, for us as users, for developers, both distro and ISV.

Will I ever see the day?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast