Thread: Using cifs to mount a drive

Default Using cifs to mount a drive

Ok I know this topic comes up a lot in different threads, but I haven't been able to solve the problem for my mount.

Untill a few days ago used the following command in OS10.1 without any problem:
    mount -t smbfs -o username=***,password=*** //x.x.x.x/network_folder /home/spuser/Desktop/desktop_folder

Now I've just installed OS11 and found that smbfs is replaced by cifs. I'm using exactly the same mount command but replacing the smbfs by cifs.

The error I get is:
    mount error 20 = Not a directory
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

I checked and the following are installed:
    cifs-mount
    pam_cifs
    samba
    smb4k
    libsmbclient0
    samba-client
    (+some others)

I tried mounting to /mnt but that doesn't work either. The network and local folders do exist and I checked the type case.

What should I try?

(By the way, if anyone can also quickly tell me how to add a shortcut to my KDE4 desktop that would be great!)

Thanks

Default Re: Using cifs to mount a drive

Hi spetter0508,

Had the same problem. Check
    [linux-cifs-client] cifs: mount error 20 = Not a directory, while it works with smbclient

for a solution that worked for me. The only problem is that I don't know how to automate it so I have do this each time after a reboot.

On 06/29/2008 spetter0508 wrote:
    > mount -t smbfs -o username=***,password=*** //x.x.x.x/network_folder
    > /home/spuser/Desktop/desktop_folder

Please try:
    mount -t cifs //ip.of.server/share /some/local/mountpoint -o username=remoteusername,password=remotepassword

HTH
    Uwe

Ok I am able to mount the drive using the same command which I gave at the top of this thread (using cifs), but only if I precede it with:

modprobe cifs
    echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled

I tried editing fstab to include the mount command but of course it won't work without the two lines (modprobe.../echo...). I then tried to include these in fstab, but it doesn't seem to react, and my network drives won't mount during boot.

Any ideas?

I have this same issue. Does anyone have a small startup script to set this on boot so entries in FSTAB will work.