OS 11 DVD playback

Installed OS 11 freshly on my hard-disk. Installed the Restricted format one-click install from the community, but it lacks to play DVD’s properly in Xine (stripes and hardly any image), choppy in SMPlayer, VLC.

No matter what I try I don’t get proper streamed video and for some reason I don’t get Totem to let it play DVD’s at all.

After I close Xine, suddenly Pidgin explodes in memory use. 1.4 GB physical and 2.1GB virtual.

However if I disable desktop-effects it works like a charm. Under 10.3 I could use Compiz fusion effects and video playback together without a problem.

Is there a solution to this problem, besides turning off Desktop Effects?

Did you install libdvdcss2 ?

No, where can I get that. It is not in Yast2…:confused:

This should help you Index of /pub/videolan/libdvdcss/

Why does that not come available in Yast with the VLC reposotory and I’m running 64 bit. Can I just use that 386 version?

I used: Multimedia - openSUSE-Community

which installs libdvdcss, so what is so different with libdvdcss2. And under 10.3 I only followed the community link without libdvdcss2.

You should download the source.
ftp://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss/1.2.9

I don’t see a reason to use libdvdcss2, because if I turn off Desktop-effects, playback is fine.

If the problem is the desktop effects check this Desktop Effects interfers with Video playback - openSUSE Forums

Thanks that solved it. This can be closed. :slight_smile: