Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a second SATA drive to 'My Computer'

Default Mounting a second SATA drive to 'My Computer'

I've just installed OS11 and have my swap/home/... partitions all on my primary sda drive. I have a second sdb drive installed with a single reiserfs partition (used to store my media).

I managed to mount the sdb drive to a folder to backup my sda files before my clean install from OS10.1 to 11, but now I'd like to mount this drive to 'My Computer' on the desktop.

My problem is that I am unexperienced with the terminal commands so can anyone please explain how to do this?

Thanks

[got nowhere when trying to find an existing post so apologies if this has been covered already!]

Default Re: Mounting a second SATA drive to 'My Computer'

YYaST > Systrem > System Partitioner.

When all is fine it will show all your partitions. Select the one that cobvrs your second disk > Edit. Fill in where you want it mounted. Of course DO NOT FORMAT. Finish.
    Henk van Velden

Ok that definitely makes things a lot easier, thanks. That now gets me half way there, I have read access but for some reason no write access.

Is this because I'm logged in as a user as opposed to root? Could you tell me how to assign write access to my user account?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by spetter0508 View Post
    Ok that definitely makes things a lot easier, thanks. That now gets me half way there, I have read access but for some reason no write access.

Is this because I'm logged in as a user as opposed to root? Could you tell me how to assign write access to my user account?

cheers
    I think you need to search google/linux for " edit fstab": edit fstab - Google Search. 1st one on the list (for me) seems a good place to start

Here is some of mine where I have "rw" to all my disks & partitions (as an example only):
    Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3500320AS_5QM02D0H-part5 /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3500320AS_5QM02D0H-part2 /data                ext3       defaults              1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3500320AS_5QM02D0H-part6 /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Maxtor_6Y080M0_Y2G4VQ6E-part1 /windows/C           ntfs-3g    users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Maxtor_6Y080M0_Y2G4VQ6E-part5 /windows/D           vfat       users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD501LJS0MUJ1MP885841-part5 /windows/E           vfat       users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
    Make a backup 1st before you start editing
    Don't use mine: yours will be different (and that is just some of mine).

If you have problems, get back & someone will try & help
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac

Quote Originally Posted by spetter0508 View Post

cheers
    I think YaST will have made the fs read/write, but did the mount point exist before you called YaST or is it made by YaST?

When it was already there it may have no write access for everybody. So (as root) do an ls -l of the mount point (and the dirs in the path above it) to see who is the owner and what the access bits are. You can changewith chmod (or even change the owner with chown).
    Henk van Velden

What if you have a separate hard drive hooked up, just for mass storage, and it doesn't appear in /etc/fstab, and you don't know its serial number (such as /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3500320AS_5QM02D0H)?

You can use any of the /dev/disk/by... device files, they link to each other.
    But did YaST not see it in YaST > System > System Partitioner?
    Henk van Velden

Thanks, it works with the 'chown' command. And yes, the mount point was created myself in sudo terminal.

No need to edit fstab, YaST2 takes care of that

I have a WD hard drive with my OS on it, then just recently I added a Seagate hard drive for storage. But the seagate hard drive doesn't show up in /etc/fstab, just the WD:

Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD2501BB-00_WD-WCANK6434316-part2 /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD2500BB-00_WD-WCANK6434316-part3 /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD2500BB-00_WD-WCANK6434316-part1 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
    proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
    sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
    debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
    usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
    devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
    It does show up in Yast partitioner, with the full device ID, So I guess I should add it to my fstab file somehow.

spetter0508 used YaST as shown above and seems to be satisfied with, why don't you do likewise BNG22908?
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast