RTL8111/8168 Gigabit Ethernet Problem

I just installed OpenSUSE11 and cannot connect to the Internet. Also, I cannot get to my network router. My NIC Card is an onboard RTL8111/8168B. As far as I can tell, everything is showing OK. The NIC Card Configuration is set at DHCP. What do I need to do to investigate/correct this problem?

Thank you.

GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L MicroATX Motherboard
North Bridge Intel G31
South Bridge Intel ICH7
Realtek ALC662 codec

TheKid7,

I have had similar problems during the beta tests of 11.0 with a RTL Gigabit card. Not the same number, but close. My problem was related to wireless. I installed opensuse while both cable and wireless cards were enabled. This caused me huge issues, the wireless would not work and the cable would fail to connect. Even disabling the wireless NIC in the BIOS after the installation didn’t make it work for the cable connection.

Do you have on-board wireless or other wireless NIC on your machine? You don’t seem to have an on-board wireless NIC according to the specs on the web.

If you don’t have any wireless NIC plugged to your board, then I can’t help more, sorry.

I am having the same issue with that card and the 32bit version of OpenSuse11. When I install the 64bit version on the same machine, it works fine!

It will not work with either the 32bit or 64bit versions of 10.3.

I have currently exactly this problem (LAN and WLAN both setup during installation).
What have you done to solve it? Reinstall with disabled card?

Unfortunately I have not found a way to solve this, only a workaround using reduced functionality, a compromise, sort of.

Installing 11.0 with both cards enabled was not the way to go for me, there was nothing working, even disabling the wireless or wired, the remaining enabled was not working on next boot.

So I installed with only 1 connection enabled. I chose the wired so I disabled the wireless. I could not make it work after installation, but I must say I have not tried with the release version yet, that was one of the Beta versions. If you install with wireless disabled and then enable it on your 2nd boot after installation, maybe it’s gonna detect it and work this time?

If it doesn’t, I would log it as a bug. I should have during beta testing but I did not have enough time to log everything and I did not try with release version yet, so no bug logged so far. :slight_smile:

Yes this works. To be on the save side, i even removed my WLAN card from the PC. Then I installed with LAN only. After Installation completed, I installed the card again and then the kernel modules from madwifi. Now everything works fine.