Lenovo 3000 N200 webcam

Hi,

Migrated from Ubuntu to OpenSUSE 11, seems great however my webcam isn’t working under Cheese. Just get a ‘test card’.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Have you tried to test your web cam with another app, … say try it with “camorama”.

What driver are you using for your webcam? If you don’t know, type:
lsusb
and post your web cam details

For “lsusb” to work, you need “usbutils” installed.

Hi,

Camorama says “Could not connect to video device (/dev/video0). Please check connection”

The laptop is a Lenovo 3000 N200 and lsusb says

Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0a5c:2101 Broadcom Corp. A-Link BlueUsbA2 Bluetooth
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 08ff:2580 AuthenTec, Inc. AES2501 Fingerprint Sensor
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:b013 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Thanks

As near I can determine, 04f2:b013 is your web cam.

The installation guidance is here:
HCL/Web Cameras - openSUSE

If you follow the instructions on that page, you will note support for your web cam is listed here: Linux UVC driver & tools
which means you need to install the “uvc” driver.

ie … add the following repository to YaST -> Software Repositories (for 2.6.25.5-1 kernel only):

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/drivers:/webcam/openSUSE_11.0/ 

when newer kernels are released, one will need to go to this repos instead:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/drivers:/webcam/openSUSE_11.0_Update/ 

Then Start YaST -> Software Management

In the Search window enter “uvc”. Select uvcvideo-kmp-default(or the one for your kernel flavor) and install it. And then follow the guidance here: HCL/Web Cameras - openSUSE

Hi,

I have the below installed
uvcvideo-kmp-default
Webcam drivers for: USB Video Class (UVC) devices
r200_2.6.25.5_1.1-2.2 (i586)

uvcvideo-kmp-debug
r171_2.6.25.5_1.1-3.4 (i586)

And i’m afraid the webcam does not work - does it matter than 1 is r200 and the other r171?

Thanks

You should not need uvcvideo-kmp-debug. You can remove that. Also, ensure you don’t have a bad driver from a previous inappropriate attempt. ie type:
rpm -qa | grep spca
and ensure you do not have spcaxxx nor gspcav installed. If you do, please remove them.

Note you have to unplug and replug your USB device, or in the case of a laptop integrated webcam, a reboot may be necessary.

Please, in future when you state this “does not work”, specify the test you performed to reach this conclusion.

Hi

Thanks for your help

ben@3000N200:~> rpm -qa | grep spca
gspcav1-kmp-default-20071224_2.6.25.5_1.1-10.4

Is all i got back

and now in package selection i have the following installed for ‘uvc’

uvcvideo-kmp-default
r200_2.6.25.5_1.1-2.2 (i586)

Re test - the webcam functioned under ubuntu 7.10/8.04. I’m either getting the test card under cheese or the error mentioned earlier under camorama. I’ve also restarted a number of times.

Thanks

Realized i hadn’t actually said i’d uninstalled gspca* and i rebooted. Same issue.

Thanks

Update - Installed lucview (found referenced on another post). And its working - so not sure what thats all about. Thanks for the help.

r u on gnome or kde?

if on gnome then type in gstreamer-properties in terminal and in video configure input devices and check if the camera works from there.

u need the same driver in both ubuntu and suse to get it to work, have gspcav to get it to work?

Hi,

No it doesn’t work in gstreamer and actually luvcview is the only app it does work in. I tried gspcav1-kmp-default-20071224_2.6.25.5_1.1-10.4 previously and same issue…

Is there something else i could try then?

Thanks

For what its worth this is what appeared in the terminal window when trying to get video to work via gstreamer-properties

gstreamer-properties-Message: Error running pipeline ‘Video for Linux (v4l)’: Could not get/set settings from/on resource. [v4l_calls.c(409): gst_v4l_set_chan_norm (): /pipeline5/v4lsrc2:
Error setting the channel/norm settings: Invalid argument]
gstreamer-properties-Message: Error running pipeline ‘Video for Linux (v4l)’: Could not get/set settings from/on resource. [v4l_calls.c(409): gst_v4l_set_chan_norm (): /pipeline6/v4lsrc3:
Error setting the channel/norm settings: Invalid argument]

so even with different options u must have tried the webcam didn’t work?

any idea which specific driver supports your webcam on linux, may be trying to compile it yourself might work.

this is really odd :confused: