Thread: Huge issue with screen resolution

Default Huge issue with screen resolution

I'm trying to change my screen resolution to 1600x1200. I edited my xorg.conf included resolutions to have 1600x1200 (in fact it had it in there already), but the screen resolution program in GNOME won't include it. And, even with 1600x1200 set in sax2, I can't get 1600x1200 working. Also, the refresh rate is messed up...its not flickering but it hurts to look at.

I ended up breaking my xorg.conf this last time I touched. I was pretty frustrated so I decided to be a bit reckless.

What should I do (I'm on ATI btw)?

BTW:...Firefox3 is going VERY slow...its really strange. Lots of lag.

Default Re: Huge issue with screen resolution

Check to see what monitor it shows you using in SaX2.

Often, it'll be listed as 'LCD' or 'VESA'.

If your monitor isn't directly supported and named, then you'll need to choose the LCD type and the max size it will display

VESA is somewhat limited to those sizes from a few years ago before wide screens and whatnot. Generally 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and sometimes 1280x1024.

Basically, X can display it, but gnome might be seeing that your monitor 'says' it can't.
    L R Nix
    lornix@lornix.com
    Soylent Clown was recalled, people said it tasted funny.

Default Re: Huge issue with screen resolution

Quote Originally Posted by lornix View Post
    Check to see what monitor it shows you using in SaX2.

Often, it'll be listed as 'LCD' or 'VESA'.

If your monitor isn't directly supported and named, then you'll need to choose the LCD type and the max size it will display

VESA is somewhat limited to those sizes from a few years ago before wide screens and whatnot. Generally 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and sometimes 1280x1024.

Basically, X can display it, but gnome might be seeing that your monitor 'says' it can't.
    Thanks, it worked great. Now I can finally start using this distro and decide what I think...