Ok, I mercilessly borrowed code from another project and modified media.py in /usr/lib/python/site-packages/smart

I enabled debugging so I could see errors. I am not getting any errors at all. In the gui mode, when one goes to Edit>Channels>New>Detect Channel in Media, it still does the same thing as before which is "No local media found!"

For the udev I took code from here SourceForge.net Repository - [pysdm] View of /pysdm-0/pysdm/sysfs.py

For those of you that don't have smart, media.py originally looks like this ~smartpm/smart/trunk : contents of /smart/media.py at revision 818

Heres what I did, Python pastebin - collaborative debugging tool