Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: virtualbox udate w/ Kernel change?

Default virtualbox udate w/ Kernel change?

Hello,
    I'm setting up a computer for my parents that live 1,600 miles away.
    I've installed SuSE 11.0, but will need a virtual instance of Windows XP for them do to taxes once a year.

I know that Virtualbox needs a kernel module. If I install it, and the kernel updates via the update repos, will the Virtualbox module update as well?

I had tried Ubuntu 8.04, but when the kernel updated in that distro, virtual box no longer worked, and the kernel module was different than the kernel installed.

I have not tried VB on SuSE yet, so I'm asking...

Thanks much,

bertman
    SUSE 11.1
    Ubuntu 8.10

Jiceno NNTP User

Default Re: virtualbox udate w/ Kernel change?

Same here > you will need to issue this command (/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup) as a root to get it working again.

Jice

Hmm,
    If that's the case, I guess I'll have to rely on the old dual boot method for doing taxes. This machine needs to be as simple as possible, and running that command is not going to be something they can do. I will be setting up remote access, but still, this think needs to boot and run w/o interaction.

Thanks,

bertman
    SUSE 11.1
    Ubuntu 8.10

As long as you install Virtualbox with YAST... it WILL update the kernel module automatically and remain working.
    L R Nix
    lornix@lornix.com
    Soylent Clown was recalled, people said it tasted funny.

Ok, well, that makes sense.... Thanks!
    SUSE 11.1
    Ubuntu 8.10

Quote Originally Posted by lornix View Post
    As long as you install Virtualbox with YAST... it WILL update the kernel module automatically and remain working.
    So... How does one go about making that happen? Just did a kernel upgrade and there does not yet seem to exist a Virtualbox module for the new kernel. So, of course, Virtualbox no longer works...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jason_bourne View Post
    So... How does one go about making that happen? Just did a kernel upgrade and there does not yet seem to exist a Virtualbox module for the new kernel. So, of course, Virtualbox no longer works...
    I don't think that claim was correct, I don't think Virtualbox will rebuild the kernel module automatically on failure to load. However you only have to issue the command

Code:
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    and it will do the compile, assuming the prerequisites are there (kernel source, make, gcc, pam-devel). If you have installed kernel-source, then any update to the kernel will pull in the updated kernel-source too. This will cause a larger download by the way, for the unwary who are on slow links or byte limited accounts. But hopefully they will be delta RPMs.

I'm curious as to why they absolutely need windows for taxes. Gods know my taxes haven't been neglected since I stopped using windows years ago. Companies that make tax software offer the same features on their website. If they are stuck to a particular windows app, have you tried running it in wine recently? PlayOnLinux + wine is amazing nowadays.
    Unintentionally left blank...

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    Stopping VirtualBox kernel module done
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module, NOT. It has been packaged. done
    Starting VirtualBox kernel module failed
    (Kernel module not found)

Doesn't work. Been there tried that. The error seems to me to indicate that it is refusing to build because it was installed as a package through Yast2. Hopefully someone will wake up and figure out that they maybe ought to be building all the kernel module updates whenever they package a kernel update. A very basic QA/QC kind of thing.

Blog Entries

Mine was a RPM too and I updated it the way I said after the kernel update. Looks like you are missing some build requisites. Look in /var/log/vbox-install.log for clues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast