Hoow to install Fire Fox 3?

Hi,
First I’ll start by apologizing for the post. Not sure if this is the right place to ask or not. I’m just so tired and frustrated at looking for an answer for something that should be obvious. So, far all the Linux flavors I’ve tried seem to be fairly obtuse. (or could it just be me <g>). I don’t seem to be able to intuit how this stuff works. What could be more simple than d/l the Fire Fox 3 file, extract and… nada. I had no trouble at all d/l the NVidia driver and installing that. I just haven’t been able to find anything that tells me what to do with the extarcted Fire Fox 3 files. Any help appreciated.
Mahalo Nui Loa,
Hal

Firefox 3 should install as a normal update for openSUSE 11.

You can also go into your KDE/Gnome Menu and select “Install Software”. From there you can install Firefox if you don’t have it, or update to the latest version.

For Nvidia, you just need to use the one-click installer.

NVIDIA - openSUSE

Well, I guess I should have noted that I’m on 10.3 and I’m reticent to put out another $60 for v11. The DVD download takes forever at 1.5 and suffers corruption.
And, yes I know that the NVidia file installs with a single click. So why not with software? Or, at least something obvious on how to proceed? I’ve been to KDE “Install Software” over and over. I’ve navigated to the .trz file and extracted Firefox 3 directory but no joy. Can you recommend a good thorough tutorial that will walk me through all the common administrative tasks? I think I can figure out how to use the basic applications, etc.
While I’m asking <g> I’m using KDE. Knetworkmanager seems to be missing some marbles. I have no wireless devices in the box, so I don’t see the use for the KnetworkManager. I’m used to having a live network connection at (windows) boot/log in. But I can’t figure out how to achieve same in OpenSuse 10.3.
Mahalo Nui Loa,
Hal

I assume that you’re not aware of the openSUSE Build Service (OBS). Click on that link Software.openSUSE.org and search for your desired application.

have a lot of fun!

You can purchase cheap Linux DVD’s from a whole bunch of websites.

And if you go to build.opensuse.org you can find a one-click installer for Firefox 3 on openSUSE 10.3

Actually your post like others I’ve run across is absolutely no help at all. I’ve already been down endless roads of searching, including Software openSuse.org. I generally do not post until I’ve either exhausted other avenues or my patience. In the case of OpenSuse (and other flavors of linux) one ends up in endless search loops. Probably because of not understanding the proper syntax to use, but none the less, If I continue to rely on searching on my own for information I probably will never ween off Windows (something I’d much like to do!!).
If you’d actually like to be of assistance. your help would be apreciated. Otherwise…

Aloha,
Hal

Thanx,
I guess I’ll have to just keep looking. Maybe I’ll get there and maybe not. The linux user world seems much different than the windows user world. When I worked on the old Windows NT forum on Compuserve, we tried to minimize the confusion for new users. I gather that it is assumed that new users have more understanding than I apparently have.

Thanx,
Hal

Hi Hal.

Take a deep breath, calm yourself a moment, and we’ll figure this out.

You noted you’re on 10.3. Great! Welcome to Linux, sometimes the flight’s bumpy, but we can fly whereever we want to go…

Now, I upgraded to 11.0 myself, but I did install FF3.0 on my 10.3 system before I upgraded, so I know it can be done.

(haha! wait! I can sneak into a friend’s 10.3 system, he hasn’t upgraded yet!)

Tappity…tap…

Ok, I just checked, OS10.3 still offering 2.0.0.14.

Two ways:

1. Through the opensuse build services, which is preferred, as it’ll be upgraded automatically in the future and you’ll always be up to date.
  • Start Yast, give your root password as needed.
  • In the software group, click on “Community Repositories”
  • Locate and check the ‘openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla’ repo, click Finish.
  • In the software group again, click on “Software Management”
  • Search for firefox
  • You should see version 3.0-1.1 available. Click it once to have it upgraded.
  • Click ‘Accept’ to start the upgrade.
  • Rejoice and revel in your newfound Foxyness.
  1. Through installing a tarball from Mozilla.com
  • Download firefox-3.0.tar.bz2 from mozilla.com
  • uninstall Firefox 2 using yast/rug/zypper/smart
  • open a konsole/terminal, become root
    su - root
  • copy or move the firefox-3.0.tar.bz2 file into /opt subdirectory
    mv firefox-3.0.tar.bz2 /opt
  • untar the tarball
    tar xjf firefox-3.0.tar.bz2
  • create sym-link to allow starting firefox
    ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/firefox
  • in gui (KDE), create application icon on desktop which runs ‘firefox’, with 50 pixel icon from /opt/firefox/icons
  • enjoy your new foxyness

Yes, you’ll have to recreate the firefox icons and menu entries if you do option 2. But that’s how I tested out FF3 before dropping FF2.

Hope this helps.

Lornix

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!
That was sooo helpful. Method one worked fine and I now have a litle more understanding of OpenSuse. Now if I could find a reference that walks one through the elements of the system without assuming too much of the reader. (or too little <g>).

Aloha Nui Loa,
Hal

{Grin}

Got questions? Ask away! Always glad to help someone new. But you have to promise to help someone else in the future when you can. And you will, just takes time.

woohaa… thanks for your kind words halhein, I’d recommend you take a deep breath and relax before answering next time.

Although lornix explained how to install FF3 in openSUSE 10.3, I’d like to add something for your better understanding.
Most linux distros out there use package managers for installing software - that’s on the one hand something one need to know, on the other hand it’s an extremely powerful system superior to Windows IMO. FF is an integral part of the OS, therefore you’ll get security updates for the version that shipped with your distribution but no major upgrades until the application’s major version (in this case FF2) gets unmaintained from Mozilla. For major version upgrades one can use the openSUSE Build-Service and subscribe to the desired repository to always get the latest and greatest version of a specific application. Something unique to openSUSE and very useful especially for new users is the so called One-Click-Installer. If you click on the Installer provided in the OBS the package manager will do everything for you automatically. Subscribing to the required repo, downloading and installing all needed dependencies and finally installing the application (FF3) of interest. That was the reason I pointed you to the software search. I thought this would be the most straightforward way for you to get your hands on FF3.

Anyway,
have a lot of fun with openSUSE!

One additional note: The OBS software search obviously only searches within the OBS. If you’d like to search the other Community repos (e.g. packman) as well (including the OBS), I’d recommend you to have a look at Webpin

Not sure as I’m on openSUSE 11.0 with my current system, but in openSUSE 10.3 you can add the Mozilla community repository (using YaST > Community repositories). When added doesn’t it give the option (showing firefox 3 as package) in Software Management to install FireFox3?