Thread: Install KDE - New to OpenSUSE

Question Install KDE - New to OpenSUSE

I am from the debian world and wanted to try opensuse. I had it install GNOME but would like to get KDE installed as well. I am used to using apt-get install kde. I installed apt in opensuse and updated the sources.list but when I try to use it it doesnt work. I also tried using yast but nothing happens. Is there anything I can type in a shell that will install KDE with dependencies? I can open YAST and see KDE but i really dont want to have to go though all those packages to see what I want and dont want (like languages and stuff). I figure there has got to be an easier way like in debian.

Thanks

Default Re: Install KDE - New to OpenSUSE

If you open YaST > Software Management and choose "Patterns" from the drop down menu, then it is just a matter of a single-tick of the KDE3 Desktop to install on your system.
    <>---><^>

ok cool. Got it. Thanks for the fast reply.

While you are at it, try to select KDE4 as well it will run nicely parallel to 3.5 !
    OpenSuSE Leap 42.3 / KDE 5.8 | Intel i7 3770 | 16GBRam | 120 + 80GB SSD's | Benq 27" | DVD | PhilipsToUcam 740 | HPpsc2355p | Logitech KB & mouse | 320 +160 + 80 + 80 GB USB HDD's | Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7360 | (V)DSL 12 MB/s | SuSE since 2001

bogo10 NNTP User

I tried to follow your tip - but all i get with "KDE3" are the I18n moduls for KDE3 - no libs, no modules

In Yast2 Software Management:

Click the drop-down menu next to Filter:

In the panel on the left titled "Graphical Environments", scroll down until you see KDE3 Desktop Environment.

Click the checkbox next to KDE3 Desktop Environment.

In the lower-right of the Yast2 Window click Accept.