Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnome vs KDE

scottbrock NNTP User

Default Gnome vs KDE

What's the difference (advantages/disadvantages) between Gnome and KDE?

Still learning Linux. I've run v10.3 in the past using Gnome. Due to a laptop crash, I'm having to reinstall and will be installing v11.0

Thanks,

scott

Default Re: Gnome vs KDE

Alright gnome and kde r desktop environments each with their unique look and set of features and their own apps.

Apps can be shared between both and they r both very customizable but kde aims to be feature rich whereas gnome aims for simplicity and ease of use.

kde in my opinion looks prettier, gnome in MY opinion, NO OFFENSE to gnome user, looks uglier.

I suggest trying both, check out my desktop, isn't that cool?

http://snake1990.files.wordpress.com.../snapshot4.jpg
    openSUSE 11.0 Kde 3.5.9 Linux kernel 2.6.26.1

My Blog: http://snake1990.wordpress.com

KDE4.0 is beginning to look more like Gnome... oh, well it is called 'progress' I think

Still KDE offers more settings & tweaking possibilities. That is the main reason for KDE or Gnome as DT, if you want a system that is easy to navigate, does what you want and you do not tweak a system to the max ? Take Gnome. If not KDE(3.5 and soon 4.0) is better.

Personally I love the looks, feel and endless possibilities of KDE.

PS Linus T. also prefers KDE over Gnome
    OpenSuSE Leap 42.3 / KDE 5.8 | Intel i7 3770 | 16GBRam | 120 + 80GB SSD's | Benq 27" | DVD | PhilipsToUcam 740 | HPpsc2355p | Logitech KB & mouse | 320 +160 + 80 + 80 GB USB HDD's | Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7360 | (V)DSL 12 MB/s | SuSE since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Cinq-Marquis View Post
    KDE4.0 is beginning to look more like Gnome... oh, well it is called 'progress' I think

Still KDE offers more settings & tweaking possibilities. That is the main reason for KDE or Gnome as DT, if you want a system that is easy to navigate, does what you want and you do not tweak a system to the max ? Take Gnome. If not KDE(3.5 and soon 4.0) is better.

Personally I love the looks, feel and endless possibilities of KDE.

PS Linus T. also prefers KDE over Gnome
    kde looking like gnome

no way, what makes u say that?

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
    kde looking like gnome

no way, what makes u say that?
    I like the man's insight... deep, very deep... and most of all true. GNOME rulze..

Nah, just kidding. Could not resist But KDE just never gripped me, I still prefer GNOME's ease & probably am also a console freak in the eyes of others, but GNOME just does it for me.

Cheers,
    Wj
    Have a lot of fun!

I absolutely loathe Gnome, and love KDE. I think Gnome looks tacky. It lacks basic customization options I expect, and the UI guidelines says it should design for the lowest common denominator. I won't want my desktop to treat me like I'm an idiot.

Some people suggest KDE is "harder" because it is so much more flexible, but I've been converting people to Linux, and maybe people who aren't computer savvy at all tell me that KDE's interface is EASIER and more intuitive than anything they've ever used before.

Oh, and people scream bloat all the time, except KDE uses less memory, runs faster, and yet offers more features.

Even Linus wants us all to use KDE.

Slashdot | Torvalds Says 'Use KDE'

Yet I encourage you to make your own decisions. You can install them both. Log out, and in the session menu select the other one. Log into both.

use both and once u decide the one u like then reinstall with that desktop environment as default cause having both is a complete mess

Please don't turn this thread into a flamewar. Use what you like the most, kde or gnome or xfce or window maker, etc

Actually I think it all depends on which distro users u ask, openSUSE users usually love kde even though our gnome desktop is one of the nest out there but most people here use kde

Now if u ask the same question to some other distro users like maybe debian or Mint, they may say gnome is better.

Quote Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
    Please don't turn this thread into a flamewar. Use what you like the most, kde or gnome or xfce or window maker, etc
    I second that... enough flame wars going around to last many life times. Just go for what works for you.

The motto here is : have allot of fun!

Cheers,
    Wj
    Have a lot of fun!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast