Dual Boot Suse 11.0 and Win Vista on Seperate Hdd

Hello, I’m so new in dual booting. I can’t find any threads on how to do this simple. I know somewhat about Suse since i used 10.3 version for 10 months now. I recently am using windows vista. And now I want to install Suse 11 on my main computer. What I want is vista on one hard drive which is already installed and Suse on another which i already formatted it as a FAT drive. I just need simple instuctions on how to do this. I know how to install suse just by itself but to dual boot is a different story. Seperate drives period on both o/s’s

I have EasyBCD software if it helps.

Thank you!

-crane

Hello crane, Welcome to the Forums

Dual boot is straightforward. You have vista already. You can prepare the second drive by using the vista partitioner to delete all partitions from the FAT drive. Then boot off the openSUSE install dvd. If there’s no free space on the vista drive and of the second drive is empty, then Suse installer should automatically select optimal partitioning on the empty drive for you. And Grub should include vista in its boot menu during the installation.

When Suse is installed on a second drive, sometimes vista will fail to boot even though it’s included in the Grub menu. Don’t be dismayed if that happens. It’s not uncommon and we’ve prepared a HowTo to tweak vista back on board for you: Fixing vista multiboot with openSUSE - openSUSE Forums

Good luck and we are here if there are more questions.

Swerdna

Important extra point for all ppl who are new to openSUSE 11.0: see especially point #7 on this sticky:
NEWBIES - Suse-11.0 Pre-installation – PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

thanks swerdna! I’ll give it a try.

Hi. I use another system to multi boot without any of the issues of vista. Install Suse on the second hd but be carefull to put Grub in the root partition of the hd where you installed linux. It will be something like sdb1. When you have the system installed google ‘gag’ and download it. This is a boot manager. You will get an iso image. Burn it on a cd and boot the pc with this disk. You will be guided in a very easy semi graphical installation. Now press c to configure the manager then a to add an operating system and choose the partition were vista is. Repeat the same step for Suse then press h to save the settings then r to return to the boot menu. Now you can choose the system to boot. I do prefere this method because gag does not rely on any operating system so you don’t need to boot anything to reconfigure it. Whit this system i multi boot vista Suse Ubuntu and solaris, so i recommend it! Hope this is fine for you too