Virtualizing opensuse 11.0 on Windows

Hello, is there any good tutorials out there on how to run an opensuse installation through a vm on windows?

I don’t know that any guide is necessary, for most people it should be as easy as falling off a log once you understand the concept of another OS running inside its own virtual environment (in its own window).

Creating a VM should be as easy as installing on regular hardware.

For instance in VMware, there is a simple wizard that walks you through some basic steps in creating a new VM. When you’re done, just click the “on” arrow and do a regular install as though it was on regular hardware.

The only SuSE “gotcha” is that when you select the SCSI virtual disk controller, you have to select “Buslogic” instead of the default “LSIlogic.”

> any good tutorials out there on how to run an opensuse
> installation through a vm on windows?

what i can’t understand why someone would want to do so…i mean, it is
kinda like towing a heavy duty pickup truck with compact car…

dd
now, i wonder if there are any good tutorials on how to run a
Windows™ installation in a vm in openSuSE…oh, wait…to do that i
would have to BUY Windows™…never mind.

Lotsa good reasons for running a SuSE guest on a Windows Host…

Most hardware vendors still write Windows drivers and often don’t write *NIX drivers

Although getting closer, VMware still runs better on a Windows host instead of a Linux host, particularly when installing Tools

You can also make cases for using some other virtualization solution than VMware, but at least for the forseeable future 32-bit Guest OS runs better on VMware. Because of hardware assist, the difference in 64-bit Guest OS performance is less clear.

> Most hardware vendors still write Windows drivers and often don’t write
> *NIX drivers

great answer…so, to sum up: instead of penalizing (by not buying)
hardware vendors for not writing *NIX drivers it is better to buy
Windows™ only hardware AND Windows™ itself so you can (what?) run
openOffice for Linux in a VM and print the output to a Windows™ only
printer?

or, perhaps you have mission critical apps you MUST run on *NIX but then
MUST deliver to a non-mission critical (but more costly) Windows™
needing something (printer, modem, what?) … see, i get lost in the
rational …

why not just reward the hardware vendor who DOES support open software?

DenverD

HI, i am trying to install opensuse 11 over my windows 2003 x64 SP2 machine as vmware quest, and i can’t pass starting install. I get error with partitions. Anyone can help?

:frowning:
I have chosen LSIlogic, not knowing about this gotcha. What happens now? Should I re-inastall everything? Will I be able to use a snapshot of the old machine on a newly created one?

Hi, When I [re]install vmware tools the sox2 reports that the screen size is 19’ and the dpi and fontsize are not right.

If I run Sox2 (can be done only after init 2) and correct the settings (17") everything looks fine, but vmware tools stop working.

Is there a way to marry these two?

BTW, what is the speed penalty for running suse as a guest in vista (core-2 3 GHz, 4 GB RAM) as opposed to dual boot?