Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opensuse with Windows

Default Opensuse with Windows

What would be a good way to install opensuse without wiping out windows. For example ubuntu allows you to install on top of windows.

Default Re: Opensuse with Windows

What window OS? I have XP and I find It easer to install open SuSE on another hard drive. However you can install it on another partition an the same drive. During the install SuSE will see your windows OS and allow you to boot both systems.

Generally, you would re-size the Windows partition on your hard drive (assuming you only have a single drive), then you would install openSUSE using the space you created on the hard drive. Re-sizing and creating new partitions can be done right in the openSUSE installation process, or you could use one of the commercial partition managers if you are familiar with and have one (the openSUSE partition editing is fairly well explained, but if you are already comfortable with another partitioning utility, it may be easier for you). It has been a while since I nuked Windows from any my machines, so I no longer dual boot Win., but at least with XP and earlier (i.e., I'm not sure if this is still true with Vista), you would want to defrag your drives in Windows before you re-size the partition(s). Of course, back everything up first.

During the installation process, you will be presented with the bootloader recommended configuration. Simply make sure you have an option to boot Windows, which should be automatically done for you. If Windows is not included in the bootloader options presented to you during the installation process, it is fairly straight forward to edit the bootloader options to make it so.

If you have done this w/ Ubuntu, the process is very similar, although the interface is a bit different.

i've both windows and opensuse,when i turn on my pc a windows appears asking me if i want to open the first or the second one...

I want to duel boot with xp media edition. Also, when I install suse, the screen where it displays the partitions always says "remove windows" in red. And when i edit the partition it shows a table with a whole bunch of what seems like directories I don't understand.

Sorry for double posting. I've tried to resize the drive in the suse installations, but when i click resize, it says that I cannot do it. Anyways, everything on the screen where the edits of partitions goes is too confusing for me.

mmmm i don't know...maybe it depends from the version,i've just formatted the pc,i reinstalled windows xp and then suse 11 without problems,where i work we had a lot of problems with vista and suse...

You should be able to do it from the suse installer right? My problem is that everything in the installer is too confusing.

yes,during suse installation

You may find using the partitioning software included in the Knoppix live CD more intuitive and easier to use. You can download and burn it to CD by going to knoppix.net. Once you've done that, you can come back and go through the openSUSE installation process.

I'm not sure why you are getting the warning about not being able to re-size your Win partition. A couple things leap to mind (e.g., encrypted directories or lack of space). You will need to leave your Win partition with some room, as Windows is not a very good housekeeper and also needs quite a bit of virtual memory or it slows to a crawl. You will need the drive to have some free space to shrink the partition. In other words, it is not really shrinking the partition, as you don't reduce the size of everything in the partition, but rather taking the free space in the partition away from that partition. There are other possibilities, but I figured this is a first thing to rule out with this warning message.

If you find the installation process very confusing, you will probably want to read through the openSUSE wiki's user documentation thoroughly first. Start with the 11.0 installation documentation. Write down anything that you don't understand. You can then look at the other articles in the "Get and Install", "Configuration", "How To", and "FAQ" sections of the user documentation. You will still have questions, but you will (a) be able to ask for help better; (b) understand the suggestions offered here in the forum better; and (c) gain enough comfort with enough parts of the installation that you will not be overwhelmed by all the newness.

It is probably best not to try to look everything up and ask all your questions in the midst of the installation process. That can be a recipe for frustration.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast