Thread: Using acpi=force boot option

Default Using acpi=force boot option

Greetings. If your hardware is a bit older and Suse 11.0 will not shut down completely, add the option "acpi=force" without the quotation marks to /boot/grub/menu.list on the line that ends with showopts. Remember, however, that since this is a boot option you must reboot for this change to take effect. You can also do it through Yast2, Boot, Options.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Freshmeadow; 27-Jun-2008 at 05:05. Reason: spelling error

Talking Re: Using acpi=force boot option

I cannot type this morning! Sorry, that should read /boot/grub/menu.lst. There is no "i".
    My apologies. Cheers.
    OpenSuse 11.4 Gnome, and Windows XP on Asus AMD desktop, OpenSuse 11.4LXDE on Eee PC 701 4G's SSD, Knoppix 6.5 on 8 gig USB stick and Jolicloud on 8 gig USB stick.

Thumbs up Re: Using acpi=force boot option

Thank you for this

Default Re: Using acpi=force boot option

Glad to give a little back to the Linux community and glad it is working for you.
    OpenSuse 11.4 Gnome, and Windows XP on Asus AMD desktop, OpenSuse 11.4LXDE on Eee PC 701 4G's SSD, Knoppix 6.5 on 8 gig USB stick and Jolicloud on 8 gig USB stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshmeadow View Post
    Glad to give a little back to the Linux community and glad it is working for you.
    I was slightly annoyed because Linux could not shut my computer off but you saved the day . I did see a warning message each time I start my computer which said to use acpi=force but hey, try searching where ..

As the Linux kernel evolves,sometimes support for older hardware is not complete. Luckily, however, since Linux likes older hardware, there are tweaks and options that can be activated like the acpi=force statement. This is much friendlier than that other operating system that starts with a "W", where the idea is to force you to constantly upgrade to newer and newer hardware. My Dell Dimension is a Pentium 111 from the year 2000 and the only thing I have done to make it run better is boost the RAM to 512 MB. Linux loves this machine in the Suse variety, and also in Kubuntu and PCLinuxOS.
    No wonder I am such a Linux geek.
    Cheers!

I used to have this problem in Windows but I don't remember what I did to fix it, I doubt it was because of a Service Pack upgrade.

Where would old PC Windows users be without services such as druiverguide, driver genius, etc.