Thread: open office permissions lost

Default open office permissions lost

Hi
    I am running 10.3. On Tuesday I did a factory update with yast the update did not complete and returned errors. Since then I cannot open any Openoffice documents as the user if I login as root everything works fine.

I have tried updating openoffice in yast which went fine without errors but has not solved the problem.

I don't think there is a problem with the program as it works fine in Root I suspect the problem is with permissions but have no idear how to fix it.

Any help would be great.

Default Re: open office permissions lost

Where are the OpenOffice.org documentents located? Are they in the user's home directory?

What are the permissions on the documents? Run 'ls -l' on the folder that contains the documents to see the ownership and permissions on the files.

Use chown to change ownership to the user name and group you want for the files, then use chmod to change access permissions for the files.
    Registered Linux User # 170078

I have checked some of the files in my user account and they appear to have the correct permissions IE I can read and write. I just cannot open them.

I have checked /usr/lib/ooo-2.0 and this folder shows the owner as root and the group as root. I cannot change that from the user account

Quote Originally Posted by san100 View Post
    I have checked some of the files in my user account and they appear to have the correct permissions IE I can read and write. I just cannot open them.
    What do you mean when you say you "just cannot open them?" Are you trying to open them from the file manager or the OOo Writer/Calc? What message do you see?

I have checked /usr/lib/ooo-2.0 and this folder shows the owner as root and the group as root. I cannot change that from the user account
    Don't change these, only root can do this anyway. What's the output for "ls -l" in /usr/bin? Can you launch the OOo Writer from the apps menu?