Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AMD.ATI Mobility X1600 - video and flash playback flickering

Default Re: AMD.ATI Mobility X1600 - video and flash playback flicke

When you uninstall the driver and reboot to a black screen, here is what you need to do. Log in as root and then run this command:

PHP Code:
    sax2 --m 0=radeon 
    This will switch you back over to the standard open source driver you had originally. I can't guarantee this will get rid of the flickering issue, but at least you'll have a GUI and can take it from there.

Hi There,

Okay, a bit of a satellite delay, but I tried that and I'm getting the exact same error as I was when I configured xorg.conf manually, the upshot of it is "No device found" I had a look in the logs where it gives the complete list of devices and, sure enough, the Radeon 3100 is not in the list.

Maybe the device is just too new for the native drivers.

I'll cope not watching video for now (as the flickering really does make it unwatchable), or if anyone knows how I can convince the driver to accept the Radeon 3100 I'll give it a go?

Also, not sure if this is relevant or not, but I can view videos on utube and some .flv based without any problems, it only seems to be for .avi, .mpg, .wmv etc.

Any pointers very much appreciated!!

FWIW, I'm running the ATI proprietary driver on my notebook with 200m ATI graphics and I notice the same thing. Some videos play and others don't. Maybe I will go back to the radeon driver and see if that helps.

Did you edit your xorg.conf file? If so, you may have deleted the radeon entry, so that's why you can't revert back. Either that or it's like you say and your chip is still unsupported.

Have you tried updating the radeon driver in yast? There may be a more current version in the repos.

Thanks for the prompt response!

I actually tried it both ways :
    1. blacklist fglrx and edit xorg.conf
    2. blacklist fglrs and run sax2 -r -m 0=radeon

Same result both times. I tried both the above with "radeonhd" instead of "radeon" too to no avail.

I checked yast for an updated driver but could only find the "radeonhd" one and I have the latest version. However, checking the file list I found some files in /usr/share/sax/sysp/maps/update called Identity.map.blah

Looking at the contents, there seems to be an entry for each of the cards the xorg log says it is checking for, but the only file containing "Radeon 3100" is the fglrx map.

I wonder if copying that line into the radeonhd map file will at least get the radeonhd driver to recognise my card. I wonder too if doing this will end up with a nostril full of burnt sand smell :-)

Anybody tried this before?
    Last edited by ck_iop; 26-Sep-2008 at 08:27. Reason: mistype

Hi again, guys.

I want to propose some xorg.conf options, which don't eliminate the flickering, while videoplay or watching flash in Firefox, but at least the situation now is bearable.
    (I want to specify that this is my actual xorg.conf in my installed second distro - DEBIAN Sid !)

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device[0]"
    Driver "radeon"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "True"
    Option "AGPMode" "8"
    Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
    Option "ColorTiling" "On"
    # Option "AccelDFS" "True"
    # This can speed up movie playback but can in rare cases case instability
    # Option "DMAForXv" "True"
    # Option "GARTSize" "512"
    Option "RenderAccel" "True"
    Option "VGAAccess" "True"
    Option "BusType" "AGP"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device[1]"
    Driver "fglrx"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "UseFastTLS" "2"
    EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Disable"
    EndSection

touching everyone

linuxcrypt NNTP User

No need to edit your xorg.conf file, just to this:

type gstreamer-properties in terminal (Applications > Accessories in Ubuntu) and go to the video tab. Under Default Output, choose X Window System (no Xv).

That should do the trick.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123