Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it normal for Suse 11.0 to freeze

Default Is it normal for Suse 11.0 to freeze

So far I've installed Suse 11.0 with KDE 4.0 and then a complete re-install with Suse Gnome . On both occasions while I was downloading updates and generally looking around the entire OS would freeze. Got to admit that the OS would freeze when I clicked on the top right corner of the screen.

Is this normal for a new OS or am I just lucky?

Default Re: Is it normal for Suse 11.0 to freeze

i'd say you are just lucky. OS11 should be able to run fine, however I found two serious problems with it (there are threads about them in the forum here):

1) installing on reiserfs causes the system to freeze randomly

2) the "official" nvidia drivers for O.S. are 173.14.05 which are really bad drivers and rushed by nvidia for Fedora9 causing LOTS of trouble. the newly released drivers (but not in the repos yet) are 173.14.09 are MUCH better and stable.

don't know if either applies to you since there is no more information about your hardware/installation.

stefan
    "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner"
    Hardware: Dell Precision M65

Hello

Thanks for getting back to me. I have a PC World own brand Advent laptop with no propriety drivers. Up till now this laptop has played nicely with all the distros that I have thrown at it. However as I am new to linux and most things are down to user error I can't help feel that it is the user as much as the OS.

Cheers

Post specs like ram, cpu speed, graphics card model.

If you haven't disable/remove beagle many people have problems with this hound ;-)

Search here there's a couple of threads, think just searching software for beagle may do it though.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Yes, I agree with removing Beagle. That thing is a resource hog like no other. Why they didn't write the program in C++ or some native language I have no idea.

Also make sure you have enough swap space allocated. I made the mistake of allocating 256 MB of swap when I had 1.25 gb of physical RAM. It would just randomly freeze up. At first I thought it was because my computer was overheating, but it happened 5 seconds after I booted. Make sure you have at least 512 dedicated to swap space. Although I actually erred on the dangerous side and reduced it to 400 MB (It's an 8 GB drive, can't afford to lose 100 MB to swap i am not gonna use anyway).

My screen has been freezing too. I'm using KDE4

AMD 2800+
    1 GB of RAM
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

I put a full description here:
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=404392

I'm in failsafe mode now, and it hasn't frozen yet, if anyone has any ideas that'd be great. I've had my screen freeze about 9 times in the past hour.

I've been having what seems to be random freezes too. Haven't been able to point it to any program or action i do. Have to use the laptop power boton to turn off/on again. Is there any log file or something i can read/use o try and find what might be wrong. OpenSUSE 10.3 32bit was totally stable btw.

Targa 826T/ MSI M635 notebook
    Turion MT32
    2GB DDR333
    ATI X700 mobile
    openSUSE 11 64bit, KDE 3.5

regards,
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by CJPB View Post
    I've been having what seems to be random freezes too. Haven't been able to point it to any program or action i do. Have to use the laptop power boton to turn off/on again. Is there any log file or something i can read/use o try and find what might be wrong. OpenSUSE 10.3 32bit was totally stable btw.

Targa 826T/ MSI M635 notebook
    Turion MT32
    2GB DDR333
    ATI X700 mobile
    openSUSE 11 64bit, KDE 3.5

regards,
    Carlos
    Going into failsafe mode at boot seemed to fix it for me. I'm waiting for someone to reply to the bug message I posted.

Could you guys post your swap partition sizes? I just wanted to confirm something.

Mine is 2GB, what was suggested by the installer and also the same size as i used in 10.3 if i remember correctly.
    What exactly does "safe-mode" actually disable?

----
    I've now uninstalled the fglrx driver from ATI and gone back to the opensource driver to see if i can see any difference.

regards,
    Carlos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast