Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop recommendations?

Default Laptop recommendations?

Hi. I'm in the market for a new laptop and looking for recommendations. My criteria are pretty straightforward. I want a fast multi-core processor and good graphics performance for video playback and Compiz, 3 to 4 GB of memory, and most importantly, good Linux hardware support (especially switching between internal and external displays).

ATI (AMD) video chipsets are a non-starter for me. I've had such a terrible time with my current ATI graphics card, I'll never buy from them again. So NVIDIA preferred. Thanks!

Default Re: Laptop recommendations?

Hey. I'd consider looking at the opensuse hardware compatibulity list at HCL/Laptops - openSUSE .
    TuxMobil: Linux Laptop & Notebook Installation Guides offers great information as well.
    Generally, as I am not a heavy user of fancy graphics, I tend to buy notebooks with onboard Intel graphics and chipset. They always worked painlessly for me. In the last 18 months I never had problems installing suse on HP or Thinkpad notebooks...
    so, good luck with your new system

corwin@visi.com NNTP User

When I did it last, I paid obsessive attention to the WLAN card that comes
    with the laptop and cross-checked it with Linux support. At the time I
    bought my laptop, a Dell Inspiron E1505, it was shipping with the Intel
    3965(?) card and was well supported.

So far it has been a solid performer for me. There are some quirks with it
    in 11, such as some indicator lights not working that used to work in
    10.3, but... good.

Just my .02

--
    Stacatto signals of constant information
    A loose affiliation of millionares, and billionares, baby
    These are the days of miracle and wonder
    -- Boy in the Bubble, Paul Simon

Everything works with my Lenovo ThinkPad R61i. Video, sound, wireless, ethernet, Suspend, etc. The system also runs pretty cool.

Had some problems with 10.3, but 11.0 works great!

manutdfan NNTP User

Im also looking to buy a new laptop this summer, and I am almost 100% certain of getting a Lenovo Thinkpad. I know they install Suse on some models, which IMO is awesome news, but you can also buy a model with windows vista or xp and then just install opensuse on it to dual boot as you please.

Right now, I am looking at two Dell models, the Precision M6300 nSeries M and the Latitude D830N. Anyone have SUSE experience with either one? Also, does anyone know if all of the Dell n-Series laptops are Linux-friendly? A bunch of them come with FreeDOS, which seems an odd choice over Linux, unless there are problems running Linux on them.

Sony VAIO SZ series. I have everything (camera/nVidia/wireless native) but the fingerprint reader working and that's because I haven't tried. Great laptop!
    It's really that much fun!
    Geeko Samurai (cc)
    My Recent Tracks

I have a DELL VOSTRO 1500 Intel T7100, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA and it works great!

I totally recommend DELL laptops, specially the VOSTRO model, is cheap and works simply great.

The full installation of the opensuse 10.3, nvidia driver and ndiswrapper for my wireless card took me 3 hours.

I'd wait until July and see what the new laptops with the AMD "PUMA" cpus offer. A few are hitting the street now.
    I'm going to be looking at them too.

Hardware - openSUSE is a place to start to see what others have to say about their lappies.
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast