How to change the Multibay Drive while running OpenSuse

Hi,
I have OpenSuse 11 running on my HP Compaq NW8240 Notebook, which usually has the DVD Drive in the Multibay.
Is there a clean way, that let’s me exchange that DVD-Drive with another HD while running the OS?
Thanks in advance
tobo

Hi,

That is something that should not be done for a number of reasons.

The most important is that inserting a devices in a connector powered up can result in serious electronic problems.

If a pin is misplaced and contacts another adjacent one can result in a short circuit on the device or motherboard.

So that operation is really not recommended.
I do not do that or recommend it even in raid hot-swap enabled devices made for that purpose.

In terms of software … it is easy to umount and mount devices no matter what they are … dvd’s / hdds … it is all the same.

Regards,
Pedro

Hello Pedro,
Thank you very much for your opinion. Just to let you know - the mount / umount does not work in this case. I’m able to remove the DVD Device, but when plugin in the the Harddisk, the System freezes.
Thanks again
tobo

Hi,

Like I told it could be a low level problem …
Maybe your system auto-detects immediately the connected devices but laptop hdd’s are slow to boot and somewhere there is a time-out …

Just me guessing … try connecting through a usb device in case you have that chance.
But as I understand your problem this is only a issue when you plug the multibay hdd when the pc is working, right?

Is the boot process normal when you connect the hdd when the laptop is off ?

Also some of those bays are sata connectors but some are simply usb adapters, and that can be a problem …

Regards,
Pedro

Hi Pedro,
When doing so while Notebook is powered off, it workes perfectly.
Not so much a problem, it workes while working with Windows, but would like to “migrate” to OpenSuse and missed that feature.
Thank you anyway for your tips and thoughts
tobo