SuSE 11 / KDE 4 / Annoying problems with KMix & KPowersave

Hi,
as I am getting used to the new version of OpenSuSE, I’ve noticed some problems, that drive me mad :confused:

1. There is a problem with shortcut’s in KMix. I try to assign my laptop hotkeys with KMix options, such as mute/decrese volume/increase volume, but the settings aren’t saved after each reboot :confused: Any ideas, how to fix it? Maybe I should export shortcut scheme, and get some script, to import it at each boot?

2. KPowersave doesn’t recognise, when I’m switching from adapter to battery, and backwards. It still shows that my laptop is connected do AC adapter.

3. When KPowersave turns my screen black (after a few minutes of inactivity), Audacious stops playing music :frowning: It hasn’t been happening in OS 10.3 / KDE 3.5.9 and I have no idea, how to fix it (i.e. how to make Audacious keep playing music, after the screen goes black). Maybe you can suggest my any other simple audio player? :wink:

Hi,
I have the same problem with kpowersave and the AC adapter.
My acpi is working fine and it is able to correctly detect the AC adapter.
I think the problem is acpid.
In effect, when I try tu use acpid I get the following answer:

acpid: can’t open /proc/acpi/event: Device or resource busy

I get the same answer even with:

cat(or more, ore less) /proc/acpi/event

So I think acpid is unable to read interrupt events then powersave and kpowersave cannot look for interrupts from acpid.
I guess the problem is that some program is using that device but I didn’t found a solution yet.
Can you check your acpid?

Can someone help me/us ?
(I had not this bug in openSuse 10.3)

I am unable to set volume increase/decrease shortcuts in kmix, I can just set mute on/off shortcuts.

openSuse 11.0 - KDE4 - Sony Vaio FE11H

Hi,
Forgive me my late reply, but I was on holiday :wink:

I have checked the things you described and I have had the same effects.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with hardware configuration under linux, so I can’t tell whether you’re right, or wrong :frowning:

I keep asking, if someone had the same problem, and got it somehow fixed? :slight_smile:

I have got the knix shortcuts working. I found that you need to log out then in again to keep the settings. Lots of things do not update immediately that they are changed - hopefully fixed in KDE4.1

Scrilli wrote:

>
> I think the problem is acpid.
> In effect, when I try tu use acpid I get the following answer:
>
> acpid: can’t open /proc/acpi/event: Device or resource busy
>
> I get the same answer even with:
>
> cat(or more, ore less) /proc/acpi/event
>
> So I think acpid is unable to read interrupt events then powersave and
> kpowersave cannot look for interrupts from acpid.

acpid is somewhat deprecated in openSUSE. kpowersave relies on HAL and DBUS for recognizing state changes. An error of this nature should be reported as a bug to bugzilla.novell.com, the devs need to know.

Hope this helps…

Cheers,
KV

Now I’m able to set shortcuts for kmix.
I didn’t know that acpid was deprecated in suse (Thanks :)).
I looked at bugzilla.novell.com (https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=395713) and I found the kpowersave bug.
They say that kpowersave is still a kde3 package (it use DCOP) so it cannot properly work in kde4 (which use DBUS).

Cheers,
Scrilli

openSuse 11.0 - KDE4 - Sony Vaio FE11H

So it looks like we’re gonna wait for KDE 4.1 to get KPowersave fixed :wink:

Unfortunately, I still can’t find a solution for KMix. The one you gave isn’t working on my PC :frowning:

So it looks like we’re gonna wait for KDE 4.1 to get KPowersave fixed :wink:

Unfortunately, I still can’t find a solution for KMix. The one you gave isn’t working on my PC :frowning:

I found a solution for the kpowersave problem.
I have a vaio laptop and the problem was the acpi section (file ac.c in kernel sources).
You can find the issue explaination and the related solution here:
Bug 10511 - AC Adapter Events on Sony VAIO VGN-FZ31M
It’s a bit complicate because you have to recompile the kernel.
The patch works fine in my laptop, now kpowersave and Lithium are able to detect the ac adapter (even HAL detect it).
The solution is presented for a Vaio laptop and I don’t know whether it could be useful in your case.
I hope it could help…

Cheers,
Scrilli

openSuse 11.0 - KDE 4.1 - Sony Vaio FE11H

Thats interesting to read. I don’t have a Sony laptop, but I am interested in seeing improvements in openSUSE. If you have this working under openSUSE (where it did not work before) by a custom kernel compile, could you write a bug report on openSUSE?
Submitting Bug Reports - openSUSE

… maybe reference the kernel buzilla that you noted … then perhaps its possible we can get the more general openSUSE kernel patched (as a minimum for openSUSE-11.1) and not force users to custom compile the kernel.

Hi,
in my bug report should I just put the link where I found the solution or just the bug and the solution? In effect it’s not correct to take credit of something I just “copied”.
Besides the cause of this bug hasn’t been totally understood and it wasn’t in opensuse 10.3, so I just know that the patch works.

Cheers,
Scrilli

openSuse 11.0 - KDE 4.1 - Sony Vaio FE11H

Its just a link. You can put both if you wish. The idea is to give the devs the information they need to fix this.