Thread: ZOTAC GeForce 8800GT AMP! Edition

Default ZOTAC GeForce 8800GT AMP! Edition

I want to get a new graphics card and this is the one I am looking at. It only has 512MB RAM but it is DDR3 RAM. All the reviews I have read praise it to the heavens. I have to admit it does impress. It is nVidia so the drivers won't be a problem.

I am using Suse 10.3 at the moment. I wanted to wait for a couple of months before installing Suse 11.0, just to make sure that any bugs in the new version, including any bugs in KDE 4, are ironed out.

So if anyone knows/has any experience of this card, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks.

Default Re: ZOTAC GeForce 8800GT AMP! Edition

It is a good card offering a good balance between performance and price.

Whats the rest of your system spec (include power supply) and what are you upgrading from?

I actually just upgraded my system. I went up in processor to a Intel dual core 2.66GHz, RAM is DDR2 4GB 800MHz, Sound card is Santa Cruz (4 years old), I upgraded the motherboard at the same time to take the CPU and the extra memory, Graphics card GeForce 7600 GS w/512MB RAM, 3xHDD - 400GB + 500GB + 160GB.

I am running Suse 10.3 at the moment with KDE 3.x.

I would like to use the 3D effects that Suse has to offer in 10.3 and 11.0. I will be moving overseas soon and before I do, I wanted to get a new graphics card. I'll leave the sound card since it works very well.

Should run fine in your system. It does however draw a lot more power than the 7600GS, so make sure your psu is adequate to run the card.

Quote Originally Posted by FizzyFanta View Post
    Should run fine in your system. It does however draw a lot more power than the 7600GS, so make sure your psu is adequate to run the card.
    Yeah, I got a new psu when I upgraded the PC. I believe it is a 550W one. I will upgrade the case in about 6 weeks. Get something that is about 25% bigger and has a few more fans. I am moving to the Caribbean so I want to make sure that there is not just adequate air-flow but a mini tornado being produced in the case to keep the whole thing cool.

Any suggestions on how to keep the humidity in the case down. I will be on a small island and while the temp is high, winter average is between 25C-30C, summer average is 35C-45C, it is the humidity that can, and often "spoils" the PC.

Buy a good dehumidifier