Thread: Professional Video Editing Software

xVx-01 NNTP User

Default Professional Video Editing Software

Hey guys!

I am wondering if there is a professional level video editing program for openSUSE 11? I am looking for something that can edit DV, hi-def and do some basic effects, capture from camera (firewire) and export with high quality codecs. Does such a program exist? Previously I was using Adobe Premier Pro 2.0 but I've had it up to here with Windows and want to delete it from my system forever.

Anyone able to help? Thanks!

xVx-01 NNTP User

Default Re: Professional Video Editing Software

Oh PS system requirements are not an issue. I have a system specifically built with editing capabilities in mind.

I am not familiar with Premier Pro's capabilities, but the most control you can get with FOSS is Cinelerra. It can be buggy for some, but it has a lot of effects and gives the user much of the control.

For me, I use Kino to get the dv video off the camera (I think it is probably the most widely used for this task), and for basic editing.

Kdenlive is an up-and-comer for this area, and I use it sometimes as well.

Keops_t NNTP User

try "jahshaka"

Blog Entries

There are a lot of good wiki's on the web, providing information for you.

For example, you mentioned professional video software. Then take a look here:
    Movie Making Manual/Tools and Equipment/Linux in film production - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

But lets say you wish to compare Linux software to Windows software. Then take a look here:
    List of video editing software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    and then here:
    Comparison of video editing software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO at the lower common user end, the Linux software lags the MS-Windows software in terms of capability and features. But in terms of the more advanced very expensive commercial/professional software, I believe Linux software is just as good, if not better than MS-Windows software.

xVx-01 NNTP User

TY so much. Very very useful info!