Thread: Upgrade problem - postgresql

bloggins NNTP User

Default Upgrade problem - postgresql

Just a warning to anyone else in my situation. Apparently the upgrade from SuSE 10.3 to 11.0 caused my postgresql package to be upgraded. Unfortunately there is no warning about this and now when I start the daemon I get a friendly warning that I have an old database file and the upgrade process can be found in such and such a file. When you open that file it happily explains that IF you are going to upgrade the postgresql package, you must first run the dump program and THEN install the new version of postgresql and THEN load the saved database back in. Unfortunately at this point in time IT'S TOO BL**DY LATE!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Upgrade problem - postgresql

If the daemon didn't actually start, then no damage has been done the files are still there.

You can dump using the old version of pgdump (I think even the new one will work also, not sure, it's been a while since I admined PG) and then reload with the new PG running.

bloggins NNTP User

Thanks for the response, I did not realize that the yast installer allowed you access to limited backward versioning of the packages. I was able to downgrade my version of postgresql and now I can load my dbase. I'll dump the dbase, upgrade properly and then reload the dbase into the new version.

My comment was really a rant to the install design, I would think it would make sure that a package that is dependant on the version of the application and how it accesses its products (the dbase files in this case) would bring up a flag before the app is upgraded. I'm sure most IT people are rolling their eyes over this since I'm sure its common knowledge but I'm not an IT person.

Cheers!!

Blog Entries

I think an Enterprise product will be more careful and in fact probably will not upgrade between major versions automatically. However a community version is more daring, or dangerous, if you like, and you should always take care to cover all the angles if any critical data is at stake. Note though that you were updating between distro versions, not just a package fix within a distro version, so more changes must be expected.