Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DNS resolution and VPNC

Default DNS resolution and VPNC

I have been trying to use VPNC as a replacement for Cisco VPN client (since I cant' get it working on 2.6.25). I've run into a problem with the name resolution.

I am able to connect and have access to resources on my companies network. But I have to know the IP address of everything and that doesn't work. I've checked /etc/resolv.conf and it shows the updated settings to reflect the internal DNS servers but any time I try to access by name it is unable to resolve. Also, when I do an nslookup I get an error 'unable to parse /etc/resolv.conf'

Has anyone run into this, and if so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: DNS resolution and VPNC

Because I only need to connect to a small set of hosts, I simply put the mappings in /etc/hosts. It doesn't answer your question but it worked for me. BTW sounds like you have a syntax error in /etc/resolv.conf.

I had checked the /etc/resolv.conf to see if there was an error. It appeared fine. It was auto-edited by vpnc. Upon exiting, it restored to the previous and then name resolution worked on my internal network.

If I could get either this or vpnclient to work I'd be fine but so far no dice.

Host:~$ more /etc/resolv.conf
    #@VPNC_GENERATED@ -- this file is generated by vpnc
    # and will be overwritten by vpnc
    # as long as the above mark is intact
    # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

domain domain_not_set.invalid inin.com

search domain_not_set.invalid

nameserver 10.10.1.2
    nameserver 10.10.1.29

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Perhaps the vpnc script made /etc/resolv.conf not world readable?

Thanks for responding to this. I've gotten the cisco client to work so I'm not going to bother trying to figure this out anymore. I do appreciate the ideas though. I've not had much luck getting help on this forum in the past. Hopefully this has changed since I last was on here.

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Well Cisco VPN Client isn't something a lot of OpenSUSE users deal with. I didn't like CVC because it was too intrusive (inserted itself as a module into the kernel, IIRC) and killed all my other routes. I suppose it could be construed as security but I prefer to continue to have access to my LAN while using VPN, so I stayed with vpnc.

I agree with the local access point. I wish it would work that way. If I had a way to direct the traffic then that would be fine.

If the DNS stuff would work fine then I would definitely use VPNC, as my home network only consists of a few systems I could definitely write those in my hosts file and be satisfied.

I reinstalled the Gnome version from KDE and I'll try it again to see if I see a different behavior. I've already noticed some differences with the network stuff from KDE so I'll see how this goes.

Blog Entries

I would check that bit about the /etc/resolv.conf file permissions. If that file is not readable by world, DNS resolution isn't going to work for any non-root apps.

Hi all,
    I have the same problem with VPNC and DNS resolv. I have checked, and the rights to resolv.conf file is:

Owner: Read and Write
    Group: Can read
    Others: Can read

I have tried to run nslookup both as an ordinary user and from root, but same problem. If anybody has any ideas I would be really grateful.

Kind regards,
    Harald

Blog Entries

Are those permissions while vpnc is running?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast