Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless-less again:)

Default Wireless-less again:)

Hello to everyone!

I am terribly sorry for making the same stupid questions again, since Im quite sure the answers are already somewhere around here, its just that I cant find them.

Somehow Ive managed to install Suse 11.0 (dual boot, writing this from WinXP), I have no experience whatsoever with Linux, I get spots when I read about this Yast-thingy and other non-windoze stuff... anyway, am not giving up and asking 4 help

Help!

Here it comes: wireless connection in Windows works out of the box even with my Asus WL520g router, which itself works only when it wishes to. In Suse it doesnt work but also I have no idea, where to start making it work. I do have a looong cable to physicaly connect computer with router, just dont know what to do then.

So, where do I start, what do I do? :blush:

THANY YOU for any ideas

Default Re: Wireless-less again:)

Hi, welcome to the forums! Do u use gnome or kde and what wireless card do u have on your laptop? Have u added any repositories yet?
    openSUSE 11.0 Kde 3.5.9 Linux kernel 2.6.26.1

My Blog: http://snake1990.wordpress.com

Hi, thanx for your help

I use gnome. It says here: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN, is that the wireless card??? I dont even know what a repository is, so I think I havent added any

Alright then lets get started.

A repository is like a server that allows u to install and update programs from, there could be an update repo and there could be a repo for drivers and programs such as openoffice, etc.

Alright, first go to yast in gnome and click on software repositories.

Now there should be 3 of them listed there all ready, they r:

update
    OSS
    NON-OSS

enable them and set them to automatically refresh.

Now visit this page:

Additional YaST Package Repositories - openSUSE

add the repos for version 11.0 (I hope this is the one u r using)

I suggest the following

Packman
    VLC Video Lan Client
    If u have a Nvidia or ATI card then add theirs otherwise u can leave them.
    MadWifi
    Beryl,Compiz and XGL
    Banshee
    Gnome Community
    Gnome Stable
    Wine
    Mozilla
    openoffice.org Stable
    openoffice.org extras

these r the ones I have added as well

u can add a repo opening software repositories like I told u earlier and click on ADD and specify URL and add that specific repos URL and give it a name for example

for the nvidia repo u do

Repository Name: Nvidia
    URL: download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.0

this is an example to help u understand

after doing all this update your system and then lets get on to wireless

I don't have a broadcom card and I think it needed ndiswrapper to work before but that was a long time back so if any other suse user has one then please tell me if it works with madwifi.

As I understand we shall not use ndiswrapper in 11.0 - only if nothing else works.

Larry Finger pointed in another thread about Broadcom wireless chips a new, very smart way of installing the right fireware. Start a command prompt and have your admin password. Then type or copy/paste:

sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware

Boot after that and go into Yast ->m Network Devices -> Network Card. Here you should see your wifi-nic, which you can configure with wireless data.

Jan

UPS - you shall stay connected with your long cable to the Internet while doing it!

OK, so I've added the repositories(HA!)

I also did the thing janoholm suggested, but I have no "network card option" under network devices..?

I read that thread about ndiswrapper, too, so I hope something else works - the windows messups is what got me here in the first place

haha ok good work

have up updates your system after adding the repos?

go to yast and then online update

I keep getting this:

Can't provide file './suse/noarch/linux-kernel-headers-2.6.25-8.1.noarch.rpm' from repository 'openSUSE-DVD 11.0'

when trying to update

What about this NetworkManager 7.0 thing, where do I get one, would it help??

is your opensuse 11.0 install dvd inserted when this pops up...if not, put it and away you go with the updates etc. i think other people here have you sorted in helping you out for wireless so ill leave it to them, and pop back if needed.

Ok, stupid me It works now, I got the system updated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast