Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Acer Aspire 5315 x86_64 openSUSE11.0

  1. #1

    Default Acer Aspire 5315 x86_64 openSUSE11.0

    I'm having 2 problems with it:

    1) Mouch/touchpad thing. When moving the mouse around the screen, the mouse freezes every now and again, and the motion is very jerky.

    2) Wireless NIC (Atheros AR5007EG) is not supported by the new ath5k driver, or by madwifi, so ndiswrapper must be used. I've tried 4 windows drivers with ndiswrapper, and none of them have worked.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Acer Aspire 5315 x86_64 openSUSE11.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Joban View Post
    I'm having 2 problems with it:

    1) Mouch/touchpad thing. When moving the mouse around the screen, the mouse freezes every now and again, and the motion is very jerky.

    2) Wireless NIC (Atheros AR5007EG) is not supported by the new ath5k driver, or by madwifi, so ndiswrapper must be used. I've tried 4 windows drivers with ndiswrapper, and none of them have worked.

    Any ideas?
    "the mouse freezes every now and again, and the motion is very jerky"
    Sounds like an IRQ problem

    "Atheros AR5007EG"
    #1192 (Hardware Support: AR5007* (AR2425 chips)) - madwifi.org - Trac
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac

  3. #3

    Default Re: Acer Aspire 5315 x86_64 openSUSE11.0

    If you google a bit, you'll find that this is a common problem with Acer laptops - locate a BIOS update, that should fix it.

    You could try Acer Europe if Acer America doesn't have a BIOS update for it.

    If you have trouble making a boot disk, just post here and I'll help if I can.

    NOTE: I had the same problem with a 7720.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Acer Aspire 5315 x86_64 openSUSE11.0

    Well, I've given up on 64bit for the while, because the laptop is running VERY hot.

    I discovered (by complete accident) that the problem with the mouse was that the edges were set to scroll, and the 'edges' took up about 1/2 of the touchpad.

    Cheers all!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Acer Aspire 5315 x86_64 openSUSE11.0

    Update: I was a little too quick to blame x64 there, my laptop seems to be overheating in vista and 32bit opensuse as well...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Acer Aspire 5315 x86_64 openSUSE11.0

    But how to set up touchpad properly in KDE?
    Any tool exists?

    And what about patched madwifi driver.?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Acer Aspire 5315 x86_64 openSUSE11.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Joban View Post
    Update: I was a little too quick to blame x64 there, my laptop seems to be overheating in vista and 32bit opensuse as well...
    I had a gamer laptop from CyberPower (AMD chip) that was heating up a whole lot. They had a 1 year warranty and after putting up with it for almost a year, I decided to send it back to them. They reseated the CPU and the heat sink (the gel or goo or whatever was in there wrong). Now it runs cool -- only warms up a small bit when running for a while.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Acer Aspire 5315 x86_64 openSUSE11.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Joban View Post
    Update: I was a little too quick to blame x64 there, my laptop seems to be overheating in vista and 32bit opensuse as well...
    Reference updating your Acer BIOS, if you go here:
    Acer Europe - Service & Support, FTP server
    you can find the latest BIOS, that also require Vista to install.

    I have a strong dislike to this PC supplier practice, of forcing one to use a proprietary OS in order to update the BIOS. IMHO it would be useful if we could find an organization that could lobby and successfully fight this practice (ie pass a law that for a notebook to be sold in a country, any BIOS support should not be dependent on a proprietary OS). Of course I can dream for ever about that, as its likely just like dreaming about the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow after a fresh rainfall.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Acer Aspire 5315 x86_64 openSUSE11.0

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Reference updating your Acer BIOS, if you go here:
    Acer Europe - Service & Support, FTP server
    you can find the latest BIOS, that also require Vista to install.

    I have a strong dislike to this PC supplier practice, of forcing one to use a proprietary OS in order to update the BIOS. IMHO it would be useful if we could find an organization that could lobby and successfully fight this practice (ie pass a law that for a notebook to be sold in a country, any BIOS support should not be dependent on a proprietary OS). Of course I can dream for ever about that, as its likely just like dreaming about the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow after a fresh rainfall.
    I think we'll get to that point eventually. M$ has made such a mess of everything and there are so many better and more stable OS's out there the manufacturers will eventually have to allow BIOS updates that are OS independent.

    Frankly, I wouldn't trust windows to update a BIOS. MAC -- yes, Linux -- yes, but not windows. (esp. Vista)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •