Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with sound driver after installing openSUSE 11.0

Exclamation Problem with sound driver after installing openSUSE 11.0

Hello..
    I'm having problem in finding the corect driver for my openSUSE 11.0 for my system. I'm using ASUS M2N-E SLI motherboard and I'm using the onboard sound card. Where can I find my driver and how to install it?
    Thanx

Default Re: Problem with sound driver after installing openSUSE 11.0

Hello !
    Usually, the drivers are included with opensuse, the are no such thing as "*.exe driver, for example.

Now, sometimes, some hardware don't work out of the box.

Could you be more specific on what doesn't work?

If everything works, it means that your machine is supported, and that all the necessaery drivers are installed et fully loaded

Bye !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by linuxpredator View Post
    I'm having problem in finding the corect driver for my openSUSE 11.0 for my system. I'm using ASUS M2N-E SLI motherboard and I'm using the onboard sound card. Where can I find my driver and how to install it?
    Try working your way through the openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide:
    openSUSE AudioTroubleshooting -

If that does not work for you, please provide us more information (for example, which openSUSE version are you using?). ... Anyway, please paste here:
    a. the output URL(s) generated by running the two diagnostic scripts in the audio troubleshooting guide: Scripts_to_run_to_obtain_detailed_information

b. the output of typing the following commands in a terminal/xterm/konsole:
    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    rpm -q libasound2
    uname -a
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

to get a better top level view of openSUSE linux, it might also be worth your while to review the openSUSE concepts page:
    Concepts - openSUSE

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Try working your way through the openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide:
    openSUSE AudioTroubleshooting -

If that does not work for you, please provide us more information (for example, which openSUSE version are you using?). ... Anyway, please paste here:
    a. the output URL(s) generated by running the two diagnostic scripts in the audio troubleshooting guide: Scripts_to_run_to_obtain_detailed_information

b. the output of typing the following commands in a terminal/xterm/konsole:
    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    rpm -q libasound2
    uname -a
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

to get a better top level view of openSUSE linux, it might also be worth your while to review the openSUSE concepts page:
    Concepts - openSUSE
    I'm using openSUSE 11.0 32Bit now but before this, I'm using openSUSE 10.3 64Bit on my machine before this. My machine motherboard is ASUS M2N-E SLI, with 1.5 GB RAM, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+. With the old openSUSE 10.3 64Bit my sound problem solve by choosing Generic sound card vendor using USB audio but why this kind of method can't solve my problem with openSUSE 11.0 32Bit. Is it because I'm using diferent kind of installer, or is it because I've download the wrong type of installer for my machine? For your guys information, I'm using the 32Bit installer because my friend here inform me that 32Bit installer can run stablely on my 64Bit machine.. or.. my friend was wrong.. and I'm so dumb to folow his word..

I have the same motherboard on my desktop. If memory serves, it is a C-Media card that isn't supported in Linux. I remember using the USB Audio option in 10.3, but when I went to surround sound, and the USB Audio didn't work with that so I bit the bullet and purchased a cheap soundblaster card from walmart.

However, I'm not on the desktop at the moment, so I can't verify this, but I do have my Monitor speakers hooked up to the onboard sound, and if I switch to that card, it does work. I'll get back to you and try to see what I can do to help. This is on 11.0 so it may help your situation.

Oh, another thing. I went with 32bit on that motherboard, and an AMD 64 x2 5000+ and it runs just fine, so he fact you are running 32bit shouldn't be an issue. I don't know if this still remains true, but people seem to still prefer 32bit over 64.
    lysdestic@suseforums:~>make install --not-war

Edit: Just checked in YaST under hardware > sound and I added the card by manually selecting Generic > USB Audio, and it played a test sound through my monitor speakers. I did a little bit more messing around for you, but I couldn't figure out why KDE apps wont use the card. When I switched KMix over to it, the PCM volume was all the way down, so you may want to check that.

My best guess as to why KDE apps wont use the onboard sound for me is probably because I have two cards, so outside of verifying that the USB Audio driver does work for our card in 11, I don't know how much more help I can be.
    lysdestic@suseforums:~>make install --not-war

Blog Entries

With the old openSUSE 10.3 64Bit my sound problem solve by choosing Generic sound card vendor using USB audio but why this kind of method can't solve my problem with openSUSE 11.0 32Bit. Is it because I'm using diferent kind of installer, or is it because I've download the wrong type of installer for my machine?
    There are differences between how openSUSE-10.3 handles sound and openSUSE-11.0. I think most of us are all still trying to come to grips with those differences. In order to help you get your sound running, it would help if you provide the information asked in my above post.

If you can not figure out how to download and run the diagnostic scripts, then simply copy and paste the following command into a konsole with regular user permissions. It will run the script, and give you a URL when it is complete. Please post that URL here (plus the other information requested in my above post).
    Code:
    wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh

hey.. after I follow your suggestion it show me this web site. So this is what you want?

general pastebin - linuxpredator - post number 1057972

Blog Entries

hey.. after I follow your suggestion it show me this web site. So this is what you want?

general pastebin - linuxpredator - post number 1057972
    Thanks, that told me a few things that might help lead to a solution. I can see you are using "USB-Audio". Surfing for that on the alsa site, I obtained more than 100 'hits', ...but the last few indicated there is an update for "USB-Audio" between 1.0.16 and 1.0.17RC3 of alsa. But lets try to fix this without updating alsa.

The script output suggests to me that it could be a mixer problem. But before we investigate your mixer, can you please ensure you have installed "alsa-firmware". If not, please do so now, then restart and try again to setup your PC.

I find it easier to examine a user's mixer setup by looking at the output of the "tsalsa" diagnostic script. So if installing alsa-firmware does not help, can you run (copy and paste) the following in an xterm/konsole and provide the URL it gives (also enter root password when prompted and type "NO" for the answer to any question you do not understand):
    Code:
    su -c 'wget -O tsalsa wget http://home.cfl.rr.com/infofiles/tsalsa && bash tsalsa'

About alsa-firmware, I've installed it after you ask me to do that. OK, one part is finish. Another thing is the web site is
    tsalsa.txt - nopaste.com (beta)

Hey man.. keep helping me to help you on solving my problem step by step like this with out any confusing word. It will be better if you talk to me like I'm an ameture.. I'm one of them.. heheh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast