Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kdenlive

vagskarm NNTP User

Default kdenlive

Hi to all,

At first my concrats for 11.0 distro. It is amazing.

My only problem is that kdenlive (fresh installation from packman repo) is crashing at start. (11.0 32bit)

Anyone else having the same problem ?

Notice that at my other pc which has 10.3 64bit and kdenlive + mlt + mlt++ same version the same problem does not exist.

Best regards
    Vagelis

simonkc NNTP User

Unhappy Re: kdenlive

I am also facing the same problem.
    kdenlive (fresh installation) is crashing at start. (11.0 32bit)

Any solutions/ hints??

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: kdenlive

Quote Originally Posted by simonkc View Post
    I am also facing the same problem.
    kdenlive (fresh installation) is crashing at start. (11.0 32bit)
    I get the same error.

This is not unique to 11.0. It is also there with 10.3.

Precise error is:
    failed to load pugin: /usr/share/mlt/modules/libmltavformat:so: undefined symbol: av_free_static

I note libmltavformat.so comes with mlt.

I note a bug report:
    0000138: kdenlive starts then crashes - Mantis
    and also this on the kdenlive forum:
    Gmane -- Mail To News And Back Again

We could notify the packman packager, but I suspect he already knows.

Both my 10.3 and 11.0 opensuse (32-bit) has:
    * kdenlive-0.6.0-1791.pm.svn20080105
    * mlt++-0.2.2-0.pm.8
    * mlt-0.2.4-0.pm.3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I get the same error.

This is not unique to 11.0. It is also there with 10.3.
    OK, I traced this down to a libffmpeg update that broke kdenlive.

The last version of libffmpeg that worked with kdenlive is:
    libffmpeg0-0.4.9-10.pm.svn20080512.i686.

the following two updates:
    libffmpeg0-0.4.9-10.pm.svn20080617.i686
    and
    libffmpeg0-0.4.9-11.pm.svn20080617.i686
    both do break kdenlive on openSUSE-10.3

I have kdenlive working again on my openSUSE-10.3 PC by reverting back to that older libffmpeg version. However I do not have such an older version for openSUSE-11.0, so it remains broken on kdenlive.

I'll send the packagers (libffmpeg and kdenlive0) an email, asking that they investigate this problem.

Its not uncommon for ffmpeg updates to break applications. The ffmpeg developers make changes all the time, with what appears to on the surface less than prudent regard for the consequences. However I'm NOT a developer, so I concede I have no insight as to what goes on.

Blog Entries

I'll send the packagers (libffmpeg and kdenlive0) an email, asking that they investigate this problem.
    I received the following email from the packager:
    yes, I can confirm your error.

The "bad-boy" is the package mlt, it calls av_free_static once. Therefore the compiler doesn't complain an error as it is declared in the ffmpeg headers as deprecated. but the new ffmpeg libs doesn't provide this function any longer. So I commented out this single call and did a rebuild of mlt. To be sure that no side-effects jump in, I released also the mlt++ and kdenlive packages as a simple rebuild.

I know that there are newer sources of kdenlive are available, but lets first fix this issue

So please try mlt-0.2.4 (0.pm.4) and mlt++-0.2.2 (0.pm.9) and new kdenlive-0.6 (1791.pm.svn20080105_2) and give me a short note if it works for you.
    I updated mlt, mlt++, and kdenlive on both my openSUSE-10.3 and 11.0 PCs, with the latest Packman updates:
    Code:
    oldcpu@stonehenge:~> rpm -q kdenlive mlt mlt++ libffmpeg0
    kdenlive-0.6.0-1791.pm.svn20080105_2
    mlt-0.2.4-0.pm.4
    mlt++-0.2.2-0.pm.9
    libffmpeg0-0.4.9-11.pm.svn20080617
    I then successfully ran kdenlive on both 10.3 and 11.0. But I did not test many features. ... Please, can those on this thread test out their kdenlive with this update.

And MANY THANKS to the packagers for a very quick turn around fix.

Blog Entries

I received the following email from the packager:
    yes, I can confirm your error.

The "bad-boy" is the package mlt, it calls av_free_static once. Therefore the compiler doesn't complain an error as it is declared in the ffmpeg headers as deprecated. but the new ffmpeg libs doesn't provide this function any longer. So I commented out this single call and did a rebuild of mlt. To be sure that no side-effects jump in, I released also the mlt++ and kdenlive packages as a simple rebuild.
    Further to the above, the packager advised me of the following:

Nethertheless please check if kdenlive is now consuming memory ...
    Because the call for av_free_static should return some memory to the system. In the actual svn sources this call is also disabled in the same manner I did it. But just to be sure that we don't get of the fire into the frying pan.
    So please take a hard look at kdelive use wrt to memory, ... has it degraded from previous versions?

vagskarm NNTP User

Hi all,

I noticed a better behavior of kdenlive after yesterday's update. I did not check the full functionality, but i intent to.

I saw from Kdenlive - Open Source Video For Linux that the developers have no time to update KDE3 version as they are working hard on KDE4 version, for which they intent to release the first beta shortly.

Regards
    Vagelis

arinium NNTP User

Unhappy Re: kdenlive

Unfortunately kdenlive crashes constantly. Earlier, using openSUSE 10.3 and kdenlive 0.5 it crashed seldom and the project file could be recovered. Now, however, when it crashes, the chances are that trying to recover the project file, kdenlive crashes. This makes the software unusable as it is. I am reluctant to go back Cinelerra, but the situation leaves no choices.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arinium View Post
    Unfortunately kdenlive crashes constantly. Earlier, using openSUSE 10.3 and kdenlive 0.5 it crashed seldom and the project file could be recovered. Now, however, when it crashes, the chances are that trying to recover the project file, kdenlive crashes. This makes the software unusable as it is. I am reluctant to go back Cinelerra, but the situation leaves no choices.
    I assume you are using the latest Packman version?

I have not used kdenlive for a large project for 3 months, so my experience below is based on that experience (ie at least 3 months out of date). Still, there have not been too many updates to kdenlive since then.

How much memory do you have on your PC ? While significant improvements have been made with kdenlive's error trapping (so not to crash when you try to perform a feature that was not implemented or not intended), inappropriate GUI action can cause problems. [But note I've seen / experienced that in every NLE I've used]

I found with the old family laptop (which only has 512MB of RAM and a celeron 1.5 GHz processor) it would crash fairly often. (openSUSE-10.3, KDE-3.5.7). But after a while I learned some operations were more prone to crashes than others, and constantly saving meant a crash caused minimal loss of work. My experience is do NOT use the KDENLIVE recovery feature (after a crash) but just go back to your last saved version. I also found it would crash after an hour of safe benign use (likely a memory leak) so I would close down and restart the app every hour or so (on this old notebook PC).

On my test PC (with KDE-3.5.7 and openSUSE-10.3) it performed a bit better. My test PC is an Athlon-1100 with 1 GByte of RAM. Again, occasional crashes, but the crashes could be narrowed down to certain operations. Again, frequent saves are necessary. Still, the crashes were less frequent.

On my main PC (with KDE-3.5.7 and openSUSE-10.3) it performed significantly better. Far far fewer crashes. My main PC is an Athlon-2800 with 2 GByte of RAM. Again, I still saved frequently, so a crash (on the occasions it did happen) had minimal impact. And again the crashes could be narrowed down to happen more often with certain operations.

My assessment is kdenlive is DEFINITELY useable on all 3 PCs. Even the old laptop. I concede kdenlive is more frustrating to use on the laptop, and I also note kdenlive crashes far far less on my main PC. I have no qualms about recommending kdenlive, but I do caution that familiarity is necessary.

I have yet to find a superior app in Linux. I tried other Video NLE (Non Linear Editors) under Linux (kino, cinelerra, LiVES .... etc .... ), and I found them all to be less stable than kdenlive. Also, my wife uses some Video NLE on MS-Windows on her PC (Sempron-2600, 1GByte RAM) and she finds the MS-Windows apps crash just as often as the Linux versions.

Unfortunately, this sort of instability seems to be a feature of all NLE, and it is mainly minimized by familiarity with the specific application. ie learn what causes the probability of a crash to happen, and before attempting that operation, ensure you have a current backup.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arinium View Post
    I am reluctant to go back Cinelerra, but the situation leaves no choices.
    I've had nothing but bad experience with Cinelerra, and I definitely recommend against Cinelerra for all users. I dread the thought of thinking about how much time I wasted with Cinelerra for no useable output. On the other hand, I have produced over a dozen home/family videos (of 30 minutes of length) with KDENLIVE. (although typically with kdenlive, I keep the video down to 5 to 10 minutes or so, and I paste the pieces together later with other software).

My experience on 3 different PCs (same as my above post) is Cinelerra is far less stable than kdelinve. And Cinelerra's user interface is very counter intuitive (IMHO, of course).

For users who want to try different NLE under openSUSE, I recommend you look at this wiki:
    Video editing - openSUSE

I hope I have offended no one with my Cinelerra views, but this IS a kdenlive thread (and not a Cinelerra thread), and I am just reporting on my experiences.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast